Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Retouching dirty floors

Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Retouching dirty floors

I see we have two threads with this question by the same OP; perhaps they can be merged.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 AM

You could shoot the floor while it's clean. Use that as a background layer behind all your images and just paint in clean floor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 07:14 AM

Sorry, I'm new to this. I wasn't sure if the first one posted so I posted another one. I don't know how to merge them together. Thank you all for the suggestions, even the funny ones! :-) Crazyfly1, good suggestion - I actually do have a clean background I can use, but my question is, how do I do this while saving my shadows? I want the pictures to look realistic. Plugnpixels, thank you - I have popped my levels as much as I can without blowing out detail. The spots are still there. We'll have to talk to the creators of Adobe Photoshop about a mop tool! :-) Shoku, yes, we do use roll paper, and we could keep rolling it out, but we use the same roll of paper for different shoots until we run out, so rolling it all out during one shoot seems like a waste. Actually, believe it or not, they did wipe their feet. We taped a towel to the floor in front of the background, and every dancer wiped her feet, but it still didn't help. PastBCPresent, I like your idea, too. That works well until you get to the shadowed areas, and then it gets tricky. Okay, you all want pics, so here's a couple of examples. Every photo is different - different poses, different props, girls of all different ages and sizes. Now, do you see the challenge?

Last edited by dbphotos97; 04-27-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Have you tried using dust and scratches on the floor and shadow area only?
Or maybe to a gradient on the floor and then brush the shadows back in a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 12:09 PM

Okay, I just tried using Dust & Scratches, and it worked! I have actually tried doing that before, but I didn't adjust the radius and threshold enough, and it didn't appear to be working. But, this time, I put the radius at 100 and the threshold at 0, and it worked great. You can't get too close to the subject or props because it will bleed, but what I did is take smaller selections close to the subject and use the clone tool to clean up what was left, which wasn't much. There is no perfect solution, but this is much better than what I was doing, and quicker, too. Thank you so much, ksparticus. Can you explain your second suggestion further, about the gradient? I didn't follow that. Also, I would like to thank everyone who helped brainstorm with me? This forum has been so helpful!

Last edited by dbphotos97; 04-27-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Glad the D&S worked. I was going to warn you about getting to close to the subject but got distracted by my kids...lol. You can also make a background copy and apply the D&S to the whole image then make black layer mask and use your brush tool on white to brush in areas where you want the D&S to affect.

For the gradient I would laso the floor and a bit of the shadow then feather it a good amount then make a gradient layer choosing a point at the bottom of the image and one at the top of the selection at a 90 degree angle.
Then use a very soft brush to bring back the shadows a bit
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I just tried the Dodge tool (Midtones, exposure 40%) and a quick swipe or two goes a long way. Then the Healing brush to remove a darker spot or two.

Try writing an action to do this on photos that are similar.

One other thought, might want to block the identity of the girls for privacy here on the web ;-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 03:14 PM

I did the dodge tool method. It works very well, but lightens the shadows a little more than I like. I would like to try the d&s one more time using the layer mask method. I know how to use a layer mask to paint back detail in the subject that I want to keep, but I'm not following you on making a black layer mask and using the brush to paint in the d&s effect. I feel kind of dumb. I should know how to do this, but will you explain this further?

Since everyone has an idea now of what I'm talking about, I'll just take the pictures down.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM

Don't feel dumb. The only time one should feel dumb is when they don't ask for help and in doing so learn new things. I learn new things everyday here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks, PastBCPresent. I am really enjoying this forum. Everyone is so nice and helpful. This is not something that I do a lot, but I am so glad I did. I'll definitely be coming back in the future when I'm stumped again!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration