Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Multiple faded and damaged photos

Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Multiple faded and damaged photos

I have 22 photos that were given to me that are severely damaged and faded. They were cut (most odd shapes), put in a collage and probably on a wall for many years in a humid environment. I am including one sample. Most are approx. 1"-2". I am currently scanning them at 4800 dpi and will reduce size after restoration.

My question is; is there any way to start the improvement of these on a mass scale before tackling each one of these individually? Also, my thought is to start, convert them all to B/W, and then assess the channel that has the most info. Any other thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheri010-sm.jpg (76.2 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Re: Multiple faded and damaged photos

If the posted image is a typical example I wish you luck with these .

I think that most will need individual treatment at the scanning stage to gather as much information as possible by adjusting the scanner software histogram to optimum without clipping shadows or highlights. With luck the settings will be similar for each but you should spend a little time for each image to make sure.

If you convert them to B&W first you will loose the different information contained in the colour channels resulting in equal RGB. Better to asses the channel information first to see where the best information lies and make use of it prior to conversion
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration