RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

CARE for Sandy

Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM

CARE for Sandy

Hello Everyone,

I recently started volunteering for the CARE for Sandy organization http://www.careforsandy.org/. This group restores photographs that were damaged in hurricane Sandy that happened in 2012 on the east coast of the United States (not only here but this is where the group is based). I have met some amazingly experienced people in this forum during the past week and I wanted to spread the word to you. If you are interested in doing some charity work, this is a great cause. They can use all the help that they can get and could really use some people with the advanced skills that I have seen here.

Thanks,
Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up Re: CARE for Sandy

Richard, thanks for this information. I'm a NJ resident and know all too well the devastation that occurred during the hurricane.

I completed the volunteer form today and hope to get started working on some photos soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 PM

Re: CARE for Sandy

Pixeltek,
Thank you for registering. They are pretty swamped right now so expect 7-10 days before you hear back. I'm out in AZ but I am so glad to be able to help out my fellow Americans. I have restored a few images so far and it is a wonderful feeling. Thanks again and I wish you the best.

Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM

They just sent me my first photos to repair. I'm excited to get started on them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 AM

That is awesome!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM

I have joined Operation Photo Rescue. They, too, are working photos from Sandy. The pictures from Oklahoma haven't started coming in, yet.

Most of the photos we get to choose from right now (we are assigned one at a time)are badly water damaged.

Does anyone know a good way to repair water damaged photos? You can see them on the OPR webpage (http://www.operationphotorescue.org/volunteer/). It must be easy since I can't find a good tutorial on the web (so far) and so many of them have already been fixed nicely. I'm using CS5.

As a newbie, I'll just say "thanks" in advance.

Last edited by 2ndAbi; 08-13-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM

Snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAbi View Post
Does anyone know a good way to repair water damaged photos? You can see them on the OPR webpage (http://www.operationphotorescue.org/volunteer/). It must be easy since I can't find a good tutorial on the web (so far) and so many of them have already been fixed nicely. I'm using CS5.
Hmmmmmm. I really thought that in a restoration forum that this would have been a popular subject as I find very little on how to do this via the internet or in the tutorials section here. While there is much on dust and smudges I was unable to find anything here on water damage unless I am using the wrong search term.

I am very curious as to how to do this as the examples of completed restorations are outstanding and with all of the flooding going on the last couple of years would love to help fix some of these but have not joined any of these groups because I am not sure of myself.

Steven
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Patron

Steven, water damage can be handled in many ways and techniques for repairing other damage can be just as useful in handling those caused by water etc.

I think the tutorials section is perhaps one not visited too often so would suggest using the Search Advanced search function of this board and typing in Water damage (Keywords) and clicking on the Photo Restoration section (Search in forums). You should get about 42 hits which you will then need to plough through to find specific info

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 PM

As Tony said, there are many ways to handle water damage. It can range from "noise" due to mould spots through to damage/loss of one or more of the emulsion layers of the print.

One method that can often helps is to use information from channels to recover luminosity and then repair/replace color. A search will find many examples of the technique.

I volunteer for OPR and started with black and white images, after some years I still find images that I wouldn't attempt and haven't found a technique I would call easy. However every image you work on will teach you something new.

Get involved. Pick images that you find interesting rather that for a technical challenge, you skill will improve and you will find a supportive group when you need advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM

Hi all, i just signed up to do some research. I also just got accepted for the Care for Sandy project and very excited to help out. Any tip or videos that you know of would be very helpful. Looking for color and PS shortcuts. I will check back later. Cheers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration