Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How to fix ink bleed on color photograph

Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Unhappy How to fix ink bleed on color photograph

I'm restoring an old color photograph printed on textured paper. Over the years, some of the ink has decided to invade other colors. I usually use PS color replacement brush for this and I always have difficulty making this brush work. I copied the background and set the mode to color (also set to normal, same results). Brush settings are color (I've tried all the settings), sample once or sample continuous (same results), contiguous, 30% (also 10-50 %), anti-alias.
It seems that whenever I use this color replacement brush I have to mess around with it for an hour trying every available mixture of options and sometimes it just starts functioning. It's as if the brush is turned on by frustration instead of a click. I've had some good results in the past but usually it's not very cooperative.
Any suggestions? Are there easier ways of fixing this ink bleed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ink-bleed.jpg (96.2 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Re: How to fix ink bleed on color photograph

I use that brush also
Same way you did (Sample 5 by 5)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue.jpg (97.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Re: How to fix ink bleed on color photograph

That looks very good. The brush does function with the posted photo (extracted from the original). It doesn't function with the original photo which has a curves adjustment layer. If I combine all layers into a new layer (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, E), then the brush functions. So the curves adjustment layer being on top must have something to do with the brush not functioning. But that doesn't make sense to me.
When I turn the curves adjustment layer off, the brush seems to function, replacing the color (there's much less noticeable color bleed with the curves layer off). But when I turn the layer back on, the color turns back on and the brush won't change the color with the curves layer on.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration