RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Question of charging?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Re: Question of charging?

Well, 300 DPI is the standard I (and I think most people) follow for reproduction prints, so if you scan a 5x7" image at 600 DPI, you'll be able to print it at 10x14" at 300 DPI with no loss of quality.

You have to take the quality of the source image into account with that though. a blurry 2x3" photo riddled with obvious paper texture probably isn't going to look very good at 8x12" even if you scan it at 2400 DPI.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
Thanks for the info.
I just found out this photo is ONLY 5x7. If I scan it in at a high res it will make the photo larger correct?
It would be wise first to establish what finished size the client is expecting and the quality of the original i.e. is it sharp and are there any artefacts that will be magnified and perhaps unacceptable. You should advise the client in cases where you think that enlargement over the original size may dissapoint.

Scanning at a higher resolution will not actually make the image bigger but will comprise of the 5x7 image made up of more pixels so your choice of printing dpi will dictate the final image size.

If the starting image is in good condition and really sharp then it should stand enlargement. If not then you may have a battle on your hands trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Good point. The photo is not the best quality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 PM

I'm going to give the photo to my client as a .tiff, pdf and jpg.
But what what .bit should I give it? 16 bit or 32 bit?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Patron

Why not 8 bit?
Assuming that this is the finished article and the client will be doing nothing with it other than printing off the odd copies 8 bit should suffice.

16 bit printing while available as options with some printer drivers and OS is not usually required and some would argue brings very little, if any, benefit to the final image. At this time 32 bit would seem overkill unless the client has a specific need
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM

I'm working way too high! My file is actually 1.96GB!!! I had it ad 32bits. Now it's down to 16bits at 300dpi. It's too high. It's taking forever to save. As you can see I still have to learn why I do things. I scanned it in at 1600dpi.

And it's just a family photo that they are going to have printed out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Patron

As it is just a family photo it is likely to be perhaps not the sharpest of images? You could try as suggested earlier in this thread scanning a small test area of the original at different spi to see at what point there are no gains in percieved resolution, but...

A suggestion just scan the image initially at 48 bit colour (16 bit) and at 600 spi. This becomes your master image and you can work on it as needed prior to converting if required to a smaller (family friendly ) 8 bit file.

Original 5x7" Scanned at 600 spi 48 bit colour (16 bit per channel) will give a file comprising of 3000x4200 pixels (around 12.6 megapixels).

The file size will be a little over 72MB if you convert the image to 8 bit the file size will reduce to 36MB. Printing at 600 dpi will give you a 1:1 print (i.e. 5"x7"). Printing at 300 dpi will double the print size to 10x14"
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Why not 8 bit?
Assuming that this is the finished article and the client will be doing nothing with it other than printing off the odd copies 8 bit should suffice.

16 bit printing while available as options with some printer drivers and OS is not usually required and some would argue brings very little, if any, benefit to the final image. At this time 32 bit would seem overkill unless the client has a specific need
Not to hijack the thread, but 32 bit is only there as Adobe's catch all method to support formats that rely on extended dynamic range and linear pipelines. It still takes some adjustment to make it work well with something like Nuke or Mari, and not all of the tools work. Many of the functions expect fixed point /integer values and do not know how to interact with the combination of mantissa and exponential bits. Anyone who actually requires 32 bit out of photoshop is well aware of it due to the need to support a high dynamic range, linear pipeline, or just the need to import such images. Both 16 and 32 bit floating point formats open as 32 in photoshop, which is why I call it a catch all. It's not the most efficient method, but it's there for a small fraction of users. The OP should pretend it doesn't exist. If he needed it, he wouldn't have worded that as a question. Depending on the scanner quality, he may not be recording much beyond 8 bits, especially in final output.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Klev that's an interesting point. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2013, 11:11 AM

I am just about done with the photo restoration. I would like your opinions. I am not happy with the denim jeans on the woman. They were blurry to begin with. I want to make it look like her backside is showing. It's just not coming out right. I am using the clone tool. I even copy and pasted some high res denim. It doesn't look right. What would you do? I know this is doable. I probably did not try hard enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (74.6 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration