Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Question of charging?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Re: Question of charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
I am just about done with the photo restoration. I would like your opinions. I am not happy with the denim jeans on the woman. They were blurry to begin with. I want to make it look like her backside is showing. It's just not coming out right. I am using the clone tool. I even copy and pasted some high res denim. It doesn't look right. What would you do? I know this is doable. I probably did not try hard enough.
It looks wrong because you've not added any shape or shadows to the boy's legs. Using the burn tool I got something passable within a few seconds:

I would recommend using that same tool on the piano as well - it also looks much too flat towards the bottom.

Edit: Just saw the fingers - They're flat too. Keep in mind that everything in this photo has depth and that the light will do different things on different surfaces and shapes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legs.jpg (71.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentnauer View Post
It looks wrong because you've not added any shape or shadows to the boy's legs. Using the burn tool I got something passable within a few seconds:

I would recommend using that same tool on the piano as well - it also looks much too flat towards the bottom.

Edit: Just saw the fingers - They're flat too. Keep in mind that everything in this photo has depth and that the light will do different things on different surfaces and shapes.
Excellent points! Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2013, 06:38 AM

What size files should I give my client? They are having it printed. Right now the file size is way too high. It's a TIFF Resolution 300, Width inches 16.91 Heigh 20 Pixel Width 5072 Height 6000. Like I said, way too high. What size do you think I should give the client?

I was thinking of giving client a few TIFFs and other formats. Would you just give them one format?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 AM
Patron

The original image appears to be a snapshot of poor quality. Depends on your clients expectations but really they should not want to go larger than the original size?

Reducing pixel dimensions by 50% would give you a file of 3000x2536 pixels. When printed assuming 300 ppi the image would be around 10"x8" and file size would be around 520KB maximum quality JPEG.

As the client is going to have them printed is there any reason why you need to supply TIFF rather than JPEG?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
The original image appears to be a snapshot of poor quality. Depends on your clients expectations but really they should not want to go larger than the original size?

Reducing pixel dimensions by 50% would give you a file of 3000x2536 pixels. When printed assuming 300 ppi the image would be around 10"x8" and file size would be around 520KB maximum quality JPEG.

As the client is going to have them printed is there any reason why you need to supply TIFF rather than JPEG?

Yes, I reduced the pixels. I gave them the files as a TIFF, PDS, and JPEG. I thought a TIFF because TIFFS hold the colors better after editing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration