RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

any suggestions appreciated

Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Re: any suggestions appreciated

OK, Thanks so much, that is a great idea. I will extract the people to their own layer and leave the background out. That way I can try to lighten the faces without affecting the background.
One other question is that I do not have the BandW to a point that suits me. I feel I need to lighten the faces better first. But I am not sure how best to approach this. Definitely it will help to have the background out of the way, however, how best to proceed on lightening the faces on the Band W. Thanks so much, Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCraig View Post
OK, Thanks so much, that is a great idea. I will extract the people to their own layer and leave the background out. That way I can try to lighten the faces without affecting the background.
One other question is that I do not have the BandW to a point that suits me. I feel I need to lighten the faces better first. But I am not sure how best to approach this. Definitely it will help to have the background out of the way, however, how best to proceed on lightening the faces on the Band W. Thanks so much, Ruth
Layer masks are your friend. Once you learn how to use them, you'll wonder how you lived without them. :^)

Here's a site that will get you started....
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/b...s/layer-masks/

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Thanks so much for giving me this web site. I made masks for the faces and am making great progress. Will try to finish and upload tomorrow in case there are more good ideas. RUth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for giving me this web site. I made masks for the faces and am making great progress. Will try to finish and upload tomorrow in case there are more good ideas. RUth
You are very welcome. Have fun !

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 AM

ok, here is what I have at the moment. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, a question. It was originally scanned in as a jpeg, which I then imported into Photoshop (and kept in Photoshop). Perhaps I should have it scanned as a tif instead. I could recapitulate what I have done using the tif. Would it make a difference in the final result to start with a tif instead of a jpeg.

Finally, I had a knowledgeable friend look at the original that I scanned from. As someone pointed out, it may not be the most original of originals. The defects seen at the top edge are there in what I have. But this is all I have, the very original, whoever had it, is probably long gone.

Thanks so much again for your help.
R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandparents-Scan-v3reduced.jpg (99.1 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by RCraig; 01-09-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
ok, here is what I have at the moment. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, a question. It was originally scanned in as a jpeg, which I then imported into Photoshop (and kept in Photoshop). Perhaps I should have it scanned as a tif instead. I could recapitulate what I have done using the tif. Would it make a difference in the final result to start with a tif instead of a jpeg.

Finally, I had a knowledgeable friend look at the original that I scanned from. As someone pointed out, it may not be the most original of originals. The defects seen at the top edge are there in what I have. But this is all I have, the very original, whoever had it, is probably long gone.

Thanks so much again for your help.
R
Personally, I would scan in TIF format. And, should you wish to improve the fading at the bottom of this shot, try reverse unsharp mask on a duplicate layer with settings of Amount around 35%, Radius is 1000 pixels and the Threshold is 0 and hit OK. Add a mask to this layer, fill it with black use a white-to-neutral gradient to apply to the lower portions of the shot.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM

I think I understand. I used Unsharp mask as a filter on the duplicate layer, and entered the settings you suggested. Then I used the gradient tool (First time I ever used it) gray - black from top to bottom. The I used overlay as a blend mode. The fading at the bottom is cured!!!!!!
I am plagued by the question of whether I should get a tif and restart. I can scan myself to get a tif, but it might be better to go to Gnomoncopy. But the photo looks pretty good at the moment, so may I should just keep working on what I have. Thanks again, will upload after yoga class.
Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Ok, here is where my image is at the moment. Any ideas welcome. Would it be worth it to rescan as a tif and start over again?
Many thanks for all you advice.
R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandparents-Scan-v3reduced.jpg (98.7 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 PM

You always want to start with the most data. That would be a tiff. That should give you much more detail & tonal latitude.
You have came a long way with this. With the practice you've had fixing the jpeg. Just think how much better the tiff restore will be
But contrary to what was said earlier about looking like a picture of the original rather than a scan. I personally find taking a photo results in much more detail than I can get from a scan.
Edit: I use a 24MP full frame camera set to capture raw images that result in a 30MB RAW file. Which can be saved as a tiff.

Last edited by Byron466; 01-11-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Ok, I will ask gnomon copy whether they can take a photo. Would that then end up as a ?? tif file?
THanks so much for this idea! Ruth
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration