Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

any suggestions appreciated

Old 01-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Patron

Re: any suggestions appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCraig View Post
Ok, I will ask gnomon copy whether they can take a photo. Would that then end up as a ?? tif file?
THanks so much for this idea! Ruth
While it is quite possible that you will get very good results with a high pixel count digital camera and in some cases be better than a cheap flatbed scanner the fact remains that you are still limited by the ability of first the lens resolving power and secondly the sensor limits.

In a DSLR the sensor and the lens determine the final resolution of the image. The ability to resolve detail due to these limits and the demosaicing process will reduce the capability of a 16MP system to equate to around 6-8MP.

There are also limits to a scanners ability to resolve detail similarly a high sampling rate will not necessarily resolve more detail and the majority of flatbeds limits are far lower 1/3 - 1/5 of the stated maximum optical resolution.

While all this mainly applies to scanning film (the effects most noticeable) the principles still hold true for scanning reflective material. Most scanners should be able to produce a very acceptable result and resolve most if not all detail within print media.

You did not answer the question as to how good the scanned/photographed image looked in comparison to your original copy.

Is your file as good as the original - i.e. does it look exactly the same or does the original show more detail? If it is the same then there is likely to be no benefit in scanning or photographing again.

If the original shows more detail than your digital file then consider scanning again and use 48 bit colour (16 bit per channel) and also try scanning at a high sampling rate than this image - maybe try a small area at 1200 SPI then again at 2400 SPI to see if you can get any extra information. Be aware that final quality will always be limited by the quality of the image you started with i.e. GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out). While it is always possible to fake it in PS the fact is that you should start from the best position you can and then refine in PS

If you really want to pursue photograph of the image then you should specify that the capture should be 16 bit and the file saved as TIFF - most providers I suspect would automatically suppy an 8 bit JPEG. I am betting that they will tell you that a better result will be had from their scanner if they are using professional equipment.

Last edited by Tony W; 01-11-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Exactly Tony. Half of the image issues on this site are caused or exacerbated by jpeg artefacts or poor scanning. Good scanning is a skill in it's own right and can save hours of futile retouching work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Ok, thanks so much for this helpful information, I didn't even think about a lot of these things. Looking at what I have as an original, as compared to what I see on my screen from the scan and a print out from the scan:
1. The original has some sepia in it, so I am guessing that it was scanned in black and white (the total size of the jpeg is 1.6 MB, and I believe they mentioned that they scanned at 800 dpi).
2. In some senses, I can't say that detail has been lost. For example, the ruffles on the white blouses are all there and good.
3. What I have as an original is dark, very dark. That is ok for everything except the faces. The only face that is ok is Great Grandfather Tuchmann on the extreme right as one looks at the photo.
4. I don't know whether this counts as alterations affecting the detail. Looking at the scan and especially the print out, a certain amount of fine white patchiness has been introduced in some areas. So, on the central woman's face, where there is some light, the scan and print out have a certain patchy quality. I believe that it is this patchiness that it detracting from my photoshopped image.

In summary, dark faces are the problem and where there is some light on the faces this may have come out a bit patchy in the scan. Then when I apply lightening techniques in Photoshop the white patchiness/pixeliness? becomes more obvious.

Gnomon copy closes at 1 on Sat but what I may do is just try scanning on 48 bit color on the scanner here in the lab, just to see what I get.

Will let you know! Thanks so much for your wonderful advice. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM

ok, I have a 48-bit color tif file! Now I am hoping for more advice as to how to deal with the color channels. My impression is that that is one of the first things one has to think about.
Another question - if anyone has any suggestions as far as masking the faces (to lighten only the faces). I watched a video on masking, and they mentioned smart radius, which I did use along with smooth to try to get the face outlined well. What I found was that in some cases, there was a sort of halo-type effect in the final product. In other words, the faces looked good, but there was sort of a ghostly outline around them. I don't know if there are suggestions for minimizing this outline-type effects.
Excited about my new scan. I think together with everything I learned from the initial scan, I will end up with a good final product.
Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Patron

gave it a try using Pattern Stamp tool with a Screen brush for the faces and multiply brush for the light background on a copied layer.. then a bit of curves and healing..
looking forward to seeing how your colored scan works out.. it should be much better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandparents-Scan-v2-2-A-OB.jpg (195.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM

That looks terrific. I have never tried (and actually didn't know about) the Pattern Stamp tool. Might I ask what a multiply brush is? I know how to make a duplicate layer and then used Multiply blend mode, but I didn't know there was also a multiply brush.
Sorry to say, I also don't know what a Screen brush is, but if I learn the Multiply brush, I probably can figure out the Screen brush.
Thanks so much, this is really what I need, the faces look great on the one you kindly worked on. It even came through that great grandmother Cecile actually had a bit of a smile not a stern look! Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 AM

If anyone can help me, I cannot figure out how to use a brush, much less either a screen brush or a multiply brush. I know there is something basic that I am missing, but the sites I have looked at on the internet seem to assume that you know where to start. THanks very much, Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Patron

Hi Ruth, sorry for the long lapse I've been on holiday..
Maybe these screen shots will help some
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pattern-brush-1.jpg (196.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg pattern-brush-2.jpg (196.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg pattern-brush-3.jpg (198.3 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 PM

Thanks so much OlBaldy. I have been reading about brushes but your screenshots will help a lot as I couldn't really make something work from what I read online. If I might ask a question - once I do the things as per the screen shots you so kindly sent, what do I do next? Do I brush on the faces or something like that? I am just quite confused. I have used the clone tool, but I never tried the pattern stamp tool.
I am worked on my new tif file, but it still needs a lot more work, especially to lighten the faces.
Thanks again, Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Well, I am not sure I did it right but I used the clone stamp with an offset of 0,0, and then I finally did figure out the clone pattern stamp (thanks for the screen shots!). However, I think I need to do more work, I am just not sure what. Thanks if anyone has any more suggestions. Ruth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandparents008-copy-copy-copy.jpg (93.2 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration