RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

any suggestions appreciated

Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM

any suggestions appreciated

I am a beginner and got great advice on this forum once quite some time ago. I used what I learned on the enclosed photo. However, it could certainly use more work, and any ideas would be much appreciated. The basic problem is DARK FACES. I tried several different ways and got the faces immeasureably lighter.
This also lightened up the gentleman's suits and other clothing, so I have been burning that quite a bit. I am not unhappy with my progress, but I have the feeling that some of you might help point me in a very good direction.
Thanks very much! Ruth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Grandparents Scan v2 copyforburn copy.pdf (39.2 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Patron

Re: any suggestions appreciated

Ruth, I would like to have a look at the original scan to compare before offering any suggestions.

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads:
(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image. (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM

Thanks so much for your interest. Very sorry I didn't reply until now - it took me a while to figure out how to get the file small enough. Hopefully you can now see the jpg file that I started with.
I did blend modes Overlay, Linear Dodge, then Levels and Curves.
Then I did another round of Linear Doge, soft light, and curves.

One thing I forgot to do was that I think I was supposed to change the image to 16 bit before I started, but I forgot how to do this. Thanks again if you have any suggestions, I can easily start over again and change to 16 bit first if that is a better way, or other ways that you might suggest. I did try to just dodge the face, but that came out looking very strange.
Ruth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandparents-Scan-v2-2.jpg (99.4 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 01:01 AM

Lightened with curves and used gradients in various blend modes and paint in colour mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Restore-1.jpg (97.8 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Wow!!!! Would it be possible to explain about using gradients in various blended modes? This is something I didn't know about and it is apparently miraculous. THanks so much, Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM

Personally, I would take this photo to a professional scanning company and let them get the best out of it. Then look at tweaking things in PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Patron

This is a pretty poor looking image as a starting point. I get the impression that it is photograph of the original rather than a scan - not square and seems to have a shadow where the print has lifted from the backing.

Is the scan/photograph an exact match to the original i.e. are the faces as dark on the original and lighter in the bottom half of the image?

I would suggest trying to get a better scan to work on and like Repairman said if you are not able to get better scan yourself go to a pro. company.

Changing to 16 bit before you start will not really be of much help here - you need to first acquire the image in 16 bits to gain any potential benefit
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCraig View Post
Wow!!!! Would it be possible to explain about using gradients in various blended modes? This is something I didn't know about and it is apparently miraculous. THanks so much, Ruth
Prior to adding colour into a B&W project, I routinely check through the effect that various colour gradients have in Soft Light, Overlay and Colour modes. This also works for me sometimes when trying to get a matching background for extracted subjects, i.e. using the foreground colours. If and when something works, then the mask allows for selective application. Of course, there are numerous plugins out there that will give you a desired effect when applied to a duplicate layer so you can experiment with the blend modes and opacities. Have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2014, 08:55 AM

ok, thanks so much for your advice. I have to explore color gradients, I have never tried this. Could you explain a bit more as to what one does - how do I carry out whatever should be done as far as a gradient?
Also, not sure I understand what you mean about extracted subjects? mask? matching background. I am very much a notice. If you know of a plugin that would be of use to me, perhaps you could suggest one, I am not sure how to start looking. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCraig View Post
ok, thanks so much for your advice. I have to explore color gradients, I have never tried this. Could you explain a bit more as to what one does - how do I carry out whatever should be done as far as a gradient?
Also, not sure I understand what you mean about extracted subjects? mask? matching background. I am very much a notice. If you know of a plugin that would be of use to me, perhaps you could suggest one, I am not sure how to start looking. Ruth
Hi Ruth.
I'm a better do'er than explain'er so ....
Once I have a B&W to a point that suits me and I'm looking to add in some colour , I usually start with the gradient tool. Because of the countless colour combinations available, each application will have a very different effect on the B&W layer below. And, when you change the blend mode of the gradient layer, say to Soft Light, you will see another difference. Experimenting with the various blend modes and opacity levels can have some nice results. From here, painting on separate layers in colour mode and then using the other colour-effect filters (Selective Colour, etc)and masks works for me. There's so much out there regarding gradient application, I strongly suggest you check out them out. You will see a big variety of application techniques.
To work on the background separately, I make a selection of the subject(s) and extract them to a new layer. Again, so many ways to doing this, Topaz Remask is just one. Because the subject(s) are on their own layer, anything that you do to the BG will not effect them. To my tastes, I will use a couple of the colours in the extracted layer and see what a gradient looks like on the BG. Again, different blend modes, blur, etc to see what works.

Experimentation is the key and that way, becoming more familiar with what the software can do. I suggest that you learn more about the capabilities before moving on to the gazillion plugin filters that are out there. Don't get me wrong as a lot of them have some great (and fast) results but you can usually come close with what you have and save a few bucks too.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration