Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

I have one for a challenge

Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 AM

Re: I have one for a challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Dust & Scratches in Lighten mode thru a difference mask gives a not too awful result and could probably be actioned fairly easily for batching.
Flash -

I'm not sure how you got that set up to show a mask of the filter. I've tried a dozen different ways, no success. Can you walk me through how to do that?

Specifically, I can create a mask, but how did you fill it with the detail?

Capture.PNG

Last edited by GWild55; 02-12-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Patron

Well One set of commands that may work in an action is:
Copy Layer
Set Blending mode to lighten
Move the top layer upward 4 pixels
flatten Image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWild55 View Post
...I suspect it's actually from a special x-ray like scanner my film had to pass though once upon a time at an airport far far away. And, did I mention they've always been there?
The rings and marking you are seeing are not in my opinion caused by x-ray.

X-ray damage occurs usually in the form of fogging and with colour material can even lead to cross curves making colour correction a little more difficult.

The ring type (and streak) damage you are seeing IMO is actually physical damage to the emulsion. Caused most likely by either poor processing control in the first instance (water or other liquid drops on the emulsion during drying process) or getting water droplets on the emulsion during storage.

Your scans of the ring and other marking show typical results of a scanners directional lighting actually highlighting the 'crater' from the scanners point type light source and throwing a shadow on the oppoisite side.

Scanning twice with a 180 degree rotation between scans can sometimes offer benefits.

Other than that it may be possible to subdue the marking (unlikely to fully remove!) by actually soaking the film again then depending on the film and original chemical process using the last bath for the recommended time, which may be stabiliser solution prior to drying. This could be a risky process depending on age of film so should not be undertaken lightly without fully understanding the original process
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
The rings and marking you are seeing are not in my opinion caused by x-ray.
As I said in that reply, those second three clips are issues caused by (I believe) fungus, not ionizing radiation. What caused the myriad of spots in my OP is a subject for a different thread. But they were from ionizing radiation (with pretty good confidence). Another source who has slides afflicted with these "measles" agrees it's not fungus on Ektachrome - an older post on http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru.../t-104754.html

Some of the rings might be processing flaws, they are basically invisible under a flat, or diffuse, light source. Contaminated processing fluid droplets is one other possibility I can't discount.

Unfortunately, the scanner lamp source was not well aligned with the CCD, so any topographical feature in the emulsion is highlighted. But I'm also not looking for automated ways to clean these up - not enough of them to worry about.

Last edited by GWild55; 02-12-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added reference
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Patron

I was responding in general to your remarks relating mainly to the first images you posted

Quote:
I suspect it's actually from a special x-ray like scanner my film had to pass though once upon a time at an airport far far away. And, did I mention they've always been there
Radiation does not cause the dark spotting with the light halos you have posted. But can cause this type of damage
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.shtml
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration