RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Do you think is OK?

Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Do you think is OK?

Hello! I'm Cecilia from Bariloche, Argentina. First I must say sorry if my English is not very accurate. I'm a photographer and I'm learning how to do photo restoration. It's so entertaining! This photo is my first post here. There is a before and an after photo. They became pixelated when I reduced them to fit into the forum requirements. I'm not very pleased with the sky. I will try to do it better. What do yo think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scn019BEFORE.jpg (83.4 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg scn019AFTER.jpg (96.9 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Re: Do you think is OK?

You removed the red stain very, very well.

I would say, the corrected version has just a slight blue cast and could use some more color. Below I provide my version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scn019AFTER-correct.jpg (91.9 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM

Hi, super8bariloche.
I agree with genf: you did a great job correcting teh red vignetting in the photo.
As to the sky, consider using a quick mask to select it then adjust its hue and intensity to your taste.

Hola, super8biloche.
Estoy de acuerdo con genf en que hiciste muy buen trabajo eliminando el tono rojo al perimetro de la foto.
Para el cielo, considera usar la mascara rapida para seleccionar el cielo y luego hacer ajuste de color e intensidad a tu gusto.

Last edited by Vernon; 04-14-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Skies are frequently problematic. They represent a large slowly changing area. I agree with the others on the vignette removal. It's really well done. I'm hesitant to be too picky here, especially when this would be difficult. There are some portions that sort of lack color differentiation. For example skintones don't match what they would have looked like when the photo was shot. They look kind of painted on in terms of their color, but you would really need to look up other shots from that film era to get a good idea of the appropriate palette. They definitely seem a bit blue and magenta, even when accounting for the lighting. That the same cast spans both the highlights and deep shadows makes it look strange to me, but again I like this and don't want to be too picky. It's just the next thing I would look at if you're trying to further refine the work.

Edit: if you get actual banding in the sky, try adding a little noise to break it up. You can also try promoting the image to 16 bpc prior to applying anything to the sky. Sometimes that works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 PM

Thank you for all your advices! I appreciate them so much. I´ll try to fix all the things you pointed. Thank you again
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration