RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Tips How Eliminate Glossy Sheen?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Patron

Re: Tips How Eliminate Glossy Sheen?

[QUOTE=KenithO;321552]Am thinking about trying a large ring light? Any tips or suggestions?
Also are you using polarized filters? If yes what mfr etc.
..QUOTE]
If you mean a ring flash then certainly the capability is there to produce shadowless images as the flash extends all around the lens and light therefore is directed in such a way that shadows should not be a problem - most of the time! That is assuming your subject is small enough to be covered by the circular area of the flash but can be a problem for larger subjects due to shadows forming in the outer areas

Standard copy technique would be something like This with lighting arranged carefully to cancel out shadows formed due to raised texture. I see no reason why a couple of flash umbrellas placed in the appropriate position could not serve equally well.

A couple of sheets of polarizing material e.g. This for covering your two flash units - not suitable for continuous light source due to the melt factor and a reasonable quality polarising filter perhaps from the Hoya range or if you are feeling flush B+W and you should be good to go
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Hi,

Tried to make the new RingLight photos as similar to the first ones as I could. Noticed they are all smaller (esp the dark ones).

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDS1616.jpg (60.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg BW1616.jpg (55.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg D1616.jpg (46.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DRB1616.jpg (45.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDB1616.jpg (48.1 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 PM

Great improvement Ken!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Patron

I can certainly see an improvement from the first shots but still there remains very noticeable horizontal dark densities across the darker images (increase the brightness to match your first shots).

It is not clear what could be causing this, it could even be that this effect is baked into the image. But it could still be a lighting issue causing shadows.

John nice to see you back posting
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi John & Tony,

Agree about the improvement.

"increase the brightness to match your first shots" What software do you recommend to do this?

Since the 1st was made with daylight and 2nd LED light am guessing the color temps are very different.

Am guessing I want an app that can easily change the color temp and primary colors. I know from video some colorists really like DaVinci Resolve 10 Lite
http://software.blackmagicdesign.com...l_Feb_2014.pdf

Am I correct that 1st would change the 2nd LED light to same temp as daylight or visa versa?

After this would try to match Red and Blue levels?

Have never tried anything like this so am interested in any tips!!! Especially concerning apps that make it easy for beginners!!!

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2014, 05:00 AM
Patron

Ken, I made the assumption that you were probably already using software that had the ability to adjust curves, colour balance etc. etc. No idea about DaVinci Resolve as it appears to be aimed at videographers?

I would suggest that if you have not already take a look at Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro or The Gimp (free), and others for the purpose of photo editing - most paid for apps will give you a time limited demo to evaluate.

I do not think that any of these make things particularly easy for beginners, however there are loads of tutorials on the net, dedicated forums and the built help files can be very useful
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
John nice to see you back posting
Thanks. Glad to be back too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM

Tony, " I made the assumption that you were probably already using software that had the ability to adjust curves, colour balance etc. etc."

I like to keep things simple, normally use FastStone Image Viewer http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm While it has the adjustments you mention it is more my beginning skills that are lacking.

Also I do not think it has the ability to match color temp and balance with precision or at least Repeatability.

Reason I mentioned DaVinci Resolve 10 Lite is that I have seen it recommended for color matching different video cameras.

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration