RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Remove foxing from photo of old magazine page?

Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 AM

Re: Remove foxing from photo of old magazine page?

A scanner damages the books which can be quite valuable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2014, 12:02 PM

I have considered that lighting is a problem in the past. Right now I use 2 Promaster studio flashes with softboxes directed at a 45° angle on the top and bottom of the pages (approximately 2-3 feet away from the pages). In the beginning I played around a lot to get what I considered the best f-stop and shutterspeed which for me has turned out to be f/11 @ 1/4s. I've used f/8 but I think that's just a tad too much light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Patron

I cannot think of an action that could accomplish what you want automatically due to the fact that the affected areas need to be recognised and that needs the human touch.

If you want to use curves then you will have to look at seperate areas depending on the original. There is no reason you cannot also paint on the mask with a reduced opacity brush revealing more or less of your overall adjustment to specific areas.

Quick example in the attachment - note I have not tried for any colour accuracy but just to illustrate one way. This type of adjustment should not take more than a couple of minutes
Curve 1 - get the overall colour and density about right
Curve 2 - add a gradient mask to the top area and adjust to balance image
Curve 3. - applied to the outside edge only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foxing2.jpg (162.2 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I appreciate everyone taking the time. I think the gradient curve adjustment layer is going to be something to use. I just used it on some new pages and it looks pretty good by and large. Getting this all down to a quick Action was a hope of mine, but not a necessity as long as I can still do a page every few minutes.

My last resort fix on books that have extreme foxing is to use the Pen tool to make a selection around the art panels, select the inverse and just turn all the brown to white.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the suggestion that I use a low opacity brush isn't working for me. I'm probably not doing it correctly though!

I have one last question. These books tend to usually have the worst of the foxing on the same parts of most pages of a given comic, ie. always in the upper left corner for a given book. I had been told by someone a while back that I could make whatever adjustment layers I needed for one page and then drag and drop all the other pages through those layers.

I don't know how to accomplish that! Can someone enlighten me please?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but the suggestion that I use a low opacity brush isn't working for me. I'm probably not doing it correctly though!
The idea is once you have made your layer adjustments and formed your mask that you may need to make small adjustments to local areas that the black mask has concealed or to tone down locally the effect of the adjustment. By painting on the black parts of the existing mask directly with a white brush will reveal more of the underlying adjustment. By adjusting (lowering) the white brush opacity prior to painting on the mask will help you to build up the effect up to the maximum level of the adjustment layer. Similarly if you need to tone down the adjustment layers effect paint directly on the white mask with a black brush with lowered opacity

Quote:
I have one last question. These books tend to usually have the worst of the foxing on the same parts of most pages of a given comic, ie. always in the upper left corner for a given book. I had been told by someone a while back that I could make whatever adjustment layers I needed for one page and then drag and drop all the other pages through those layers.

I don't know how to accomplish that! Can someone enlighten me please?
IF all the pages have been shot the same way and are identical in size then you could either drag the new image into the old as a new layer (below your adjustments) or drag your adjustment layers to a new image. With both images open and displayed click and drag either the screen image you need or the layer and drop it into the new image

Last edited by Tony W; 05-12-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 AM

I agree with Tony that it very well may require the human touch to identify the areas that need masking.

I did try an approach to see what could be automated (though I am skeptical). If your comics have "streets" (spaces between the cartoon panels) that are full accessible via contiguous similar colors than here is an approach I used (image below) that was pretty straightforward. I started by not making any initial adjustments to tone/color

- Set magic wand tool for tolerance of 16, contiguous, anti-alias
- Straighten image
- Rectangular Marquee select around comic panels with a small amount of margin
- Crop image
- Select > Modify > Border to 1 pixel (sets up next step)
- Select > Grow (this will select all of the streets)
- Fill streets with white
- Image > Trim
- Image > Canvas add 5% relative on all sides, fill with white
- Add levels adjustment Layer and use eyedropper tools to set white point based on text bubble and black point based on black area. Adjust center slider (gamma) to taste
- I added one more adjustment Layer to adjust the upper left corner via a gradient mask yet this step is optional based on your needs
- Add text layer to place "Marvel Comics" at top (I did not do this step)

Here is the result which was as automated as I could get it. May not be as easy for other images

2n20njm-processed.jpg

Just one more angle to consider. Hope this is helpful.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration