RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Lab damaged cover shot

Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Lab damaged cover shot

Hi RetouchPro

This is my first post to this forum and RetouchPRO. I will try to be as relevant as possible.
I'm a pro photographer in London. My project at the moment is making books of cities at dawn. This shot was taken 2 years ago and I was gutted as it was going to be a contender for the Venice at Dawn book cover. It got fogged on the rack at the lab. Stuff happens yah...
I was wondering if it can be saved. I tried some restoration awhile back and failed miserably. I thought I would come here and ask for some pointers on how to get this looking fabulous and if you think it can actually reach that point. I've seen some incredible work done here, but I just don't know if this neg has enough info to even try to repair it. What do you think?
Cheers
Anthony Epes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg venice_image027.jpg (94.5 KB, 148 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM

Re: Lab damaged cover shot

I think it's relatively salvageable (depends on how large and "truthful" of color you want to be) because you have a pretty decent blue channel for detail (thought the left piers are pretty empty), and the color is open to interpretation and can be largely made up and painted in, as needed. We're only taking about shades of blue/red with spots of yellow/warmth for the lights.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Patron

Well I copied the layer and then used a curves adjustment layer and lowered the green channel. A gradient can be used to limit the effect to the grain area of the photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 8.19.20 PM.jpg (163.5 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2014, 05:17 AM

Thank you for the insight. I suppose what I'm looking for is a way to make the restoration happen without a lot of Brush work (an additive process?), which I'm lousy at, but by manipulating adjustment layers to get an even density with accurate colours. do you think it's possible without loads of painting?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 AM

Here is my attempt after 20 minutes invested. It's an ok result but nothing that would qualify for a cover shot. I suppose if I spent hours working on it....??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot-Venice_restore.jpg (96.9 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonyclaws View Post
Here is my attempt after 20 minutes invested. It's an ok result but nothing that would qualify for a cover shot. I suppose if I spent hours working on it....??
Hi Stonyclaws
Looks like you have the process down for getting rid of the green. Unfortunately there may be detail that is lost that may not be recoverable.

With such small images posted on the forum it would be difficult I believe for Forum members to comment on Cover Worthiness. You image on your end is ~135MB yet what we have on our end 1MB file and highly compressed JPEG with artifacts.

I think at this point if you wanted more help you would need to provide a link to the PSD file to see if anything else could be done or 1005 crops or problem areas with more specific questions.

Just my opinion of course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Thank you for your help everyone.
Anthony
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2014, 11:42 AM

20 mins is not a lot of time for a cover shot. I wouldn't put any arbitrary time limits on yourself, if you care about the shot.

FWIW, I can take it to a somewhat attractive point without any masks at all (below) but I'd still want to go in and fine-tune it with some masking and color work on the lights, etc.

My advice is to have lunch, grab a favorite beverage of your choice, and play with it for a couple of hours and make yourself proud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP_StonyClaws.jpg (66.7 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Advice taken but with dinner. Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2014, 03:55 AM

FWIW I'd revisit the scan and personally opt for high end drum scanner - then blend two scans of differing densities to maximise the detailing in the blown area. When the scans are as good as they can be, the retouch, as demonstrated should be straightforward.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration