RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Making Xmas Cards, Postcards, etc.

Old 09-08-2002, 09:11 PM

Thanks Phyllis, glad you liked it.

No the silver reindeer was a separate ornament we have for our tree, it's kind of heavy though.

The glass ornament was a precious moments ornament. I shot a picture of that hanging on the tree by itself.

I then shot a second pic of just the reindeer. extracted background, resized and masked into the glass ornament.

Took another picture I had of my son and extracted him from the background, resized and placed him on the reindeer.

Final step was to add the text.

Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 03:04 PM

Here's something new I'm trying this year. I'm creating a reusable daily calendar for my parents. That means 352 individual creations and a lot of work!

I'm going to have them printed by Ofoto onto 4x6 paper which I will slice in half (two days per print). The sayings along the bottom are irish and english proverbs I found on-line. Reminds me of things they would say to me growing up!

--Heather
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calendar.jpg (45.8 KB, 179 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 03:16 PM

When I do create cards/postcards etc. and print them I usually use the regular Ofoto 4x6 prints because I'm cheap and because I usually only want a few printed and not an entire box of cards. So I'm afraid I can't comment on the Ofoto card service.

In some cases like at christmas (to insert into a card) I print pictures and an annual letter with pictures down the side using my HP color laser jet onto Kodak white paper stock or onto a light weight card stock. The images come out really well but are matte....being they are laser. This doesn't bother me at all because as I said I'm cheap and I don't like paying for inkjet cartridges! In fact since getting the laser and discovering Ofoto and Shutterfly we haven't turned the inkjet on.

--Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 05:28 PM

I've been making cards for special birthdays and for special friends at Christmas for a number of years, and I started the easy way by using card creator software and then replacing their text and images with mine. I still use the card stock that is already scored from Avery or whoever has a good deal at the time (Phyllis, great use for the butter knife, but I'm a klutz who is safer with pre-scored cards).

Phyllis - I love the samples on your website -- the "sorry I haven't written, but I've been tied up" is really cute.
Danny and Cendes -- especially lovely Christmas cards!
TimS -- your image is so stunning -- I've visited it in the gallery a number of times -- just perfect for your cards.
Ed -- you are so funny! That card is a winner!

This is an image from a recent anniversary card. When I read a line that I liked and wanted to include in the card, I knew that I already had an image that would work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anniv-look.jpg (39.5 KB, 157 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 05:51 PM

C.J. Cute card. Those eyes....

Heather. I really like the graphics on your calendar. I can't imagine doing one for each day... Also thanks for mentioning the postive feedback on Ophoto. I haven't heard much about the quality of their work.

Phillis -- good trick with the butter knife. All of ours are serrated, so I took a sanding disk to an old Exacto knife blade and made a scoring tool that way. It works great now, but I kept finding burrs and sharp spots for the first dozen or so cards...

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 05:52 PM

Heather, I love your calendar!!
What a great gift.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2002, 07:57 PM

Ofoto experience.....

Thanks for the positive feedback on the calendar. Lots of work but they will be able to enjoy the pictures year after year. Also I'm only doing the first few months and I'll add more as gifts at Mother's Day and birthdays. So it won't be so bad.

Tim_S here's a few tips about Ofoto I've learned. They do a zoom and trim on pictures. Meaning if your image doesn't fit the 4x6 dimension perfectly it will be croped and trimed to fit. That works fine for most snap shot prints where the image is in the middle with lots of room to crop around the edges but if you are like me it can be a disaster! I tend to use photoshop ahead of time and crop it myself so if Ofoto does it as well I usually end up with things trimmed off. Anyway you can choose to turn off the crop and trim and what you up loaded will be printed with blank spaces where the image wasn't big enough. I recommend previewing the pictures in the edit area before having them printed.

Secondly I've found that if you manipulate images on-line using the tools Ofoto provides and save the changes the quality of the image is dramatically reduced. Again this is fine for the snap-shots but not so great for portfolio pics or even if you are using them to print client work.

To avoid all of this I recommend figuring out the exact pixel size and resolution needed for each print size you want and work on your photographs in photoshop. Save each image in it's different size then upload.

I find the interface of Shutterfly to be much easier and if you like putting boarders on images they have a better selection. However, I've found Ofoto's prints to be a bit crisper (as long as I haven't re-saved too many times) and Kodak claims some degree of archival longevity.

Shipping....

Ofoto is great if you have your prints shipped one or two day or you order larger format prints. These items will arrive really fast.... but the 4x6 and 5x7s ordered for regular mail delivery will literally take a full two weeks to arrive. Even though the online status will say processed and shipped within 24 hours of the order I always get my 8x10s the next day (regular mail) and my small prints a full two weeks later. It's a bit annoying because they must leave them in a bin and not send them out for a week or so if the 8x10s can arrive so timely.

Anyway I hope this helps,

Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2002, 06:01 AM

Heather, have you ever tried Walmart for prints? They have great prices, excellent prints, and turn-around time is usually 3 days.
You can find them online at:
Walmart

Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2002, 06:20 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Every card presented is outstanding! Thanks for the ideas, and thanks for the info on making them.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2002, 12:14 PM

Vikki

Nope, I've never tried Walmart. I'm afraid I refuse to shop at Walmart because they have killed the character of many small towns by putting the small businesses in the downtown areas out of business. To top it off I'm especially not thrilled with them after hearing that they take insurance policies out on their employees and make money off of their deaths. That's just sick.

I'm not suggestioning that anyone else change their shopping habits I just don't want to shop there myself.

Also I wanted a shop that uses a Kodak Pegasus LED Digital Printer because I like the print quality and the process used is suppose to be as archival as you can get for color photographs from digital images (this was a couple years ago so I'm not sure now)....anyway Ofoto uses this printer. I would be interested in other on-line shops that offers good quality matte prints from this printer so if anyone knows of one post it!

--Heather
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration