RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Making Xmas Cards, Postcards, etc.

Old 09-08-2002, 12:17 AM

Making Xmas Cards, Postcards, etc.

I uploaded some postcards to the gallery, and commented there that surely many others here make cards--personal Xmas cards, greeting cards, or cards for clients, but I have not yet seen this topic discussed. If you do it, or would like some pointers on how to do it, tell us here.

Some of the areas to be discussed would include good papers to use, waterproof coatings, folding your own vs. pre-folded card stock, as well as design ideas, borders, fonts, use of cartoon graphics along with photos, ways to put together a collage card, etc.

I have a lot of experience with such things from making both postcards and greeting cards over the years, but papers and techniques keep changing, and others will surely have great tips that we can all use, so I hope you will write with your questions or suggestions, or post some sample cards to inspire us!

You can see sample Xmas cards as well as more postcards on my website, URL below my signature.

Phyllis
www.innographx.com

Last edited by pstewart; 09-08-2002 at 01:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 10:23 AM

Here's my first try from Christmas 2001...

There are two overlapping background images (downloaded from the net) + the layer-masked-in-with-Photoshop mugshots.

The local Office Max store had 20-count Kodak "greeting card" packages (pre-perforated cards + envelopes + Kodak cardmaker software, which I never opened) marked down to $4. I bought every package they had.

Took one test run to get the alignment squared away on the perfed paper, then I was in business.

I guess it is time to start thinking about this again, but I'm not ready to yet!

~DannyR~

NOTE: This attachment will look a little fuzzy and color mucked because it's a downsized version of the .jpg version I mass e-mailed. The 'printed' version looks much better than this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001card-dannyr.jpg (47.2 KB, 294 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 12:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
This is something I'd be interested in. I've only made a few cards, and I'm not sure if I still have one on my hard drive or not. I'll take a look, then post it if I find one. If you have recommendations for card stock, would that be for use with any printer, or for specific printers? I'm using an Epson Photo 870.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 01:03 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Here's one I made for one of my daughters. The lighting doesn't match, but I thought that was okay since it was easily identified as something that was not real. She loved it.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jean_card.jpg (95.2 KB, 241 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 07:57 PM

My Xmas card from last year is posted in the gallery . I printed them myself on Kodak paper. Folding was difficult, you had to score them well to get a descent fold, and the inner surface did not take ink well, so you had to handle them carefully for a long time.

Has anyone tried a service like Ophoto to print cards? I am looking for an easier way to do it this year. I used to use a printer just down the street, but they colosed...

Phyllis, I'd love to hear your recommendations for paper, since the need for printing on both sides of a folded card adds a lot of constraints.

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 08:02 PM

I enjoy making holiday and special occasion cards for my family, here is one of my favorites from Xmas 2001.

Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ornamentcard.jpg (70.4 KB, 226 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 08:33 PM

Danny's Card

Danny, that is positively gorgeous! I love the way you not only did the usual "face on ornament" but added the candles and overlapped backgrounds. Does Hallmark know about you!?

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 08:37 PM

Ed

Ed, that card for Jean's birthday is one of the funniest things I've ever seen! I've GOTTA do one of these for my hubby. Can't wait till his birthday...hehe!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 08:56 PM

Paper for greeting cards

I use an Epson printer...just upgraded from Photo EX to 1280. I have found that some papers made for just generic "ink jet" printers don't work well with Epson printers/ink, but this paper is a pleasant exception.

My favorite card paper is relatively inexpensive for such a great paper. I like it because it is really HEAVY weight, and it has a glossy shine like photo paper. Wording on the duller inside prints crisply too! It's called "Invent It" Heavyweight Gloss Poster Paper for ink jet printers, made by International Paper Co. Comes in 20-sheet packs. I order it by dozens on the web, but it's in many stores as well.

You do have to score it to fold it, but I have a system that makes this easy. I put down a folded newspaper section for some padding then cover that with clean white paper (use freezer wrap usually) and get a round-tipped smooth edged (no serrations!) butter knife and a ruler. Then I mark the top and bottom center with a bit of pressure on knife tip, then score along ruler with the dull knife a few times, increasing pressure till I am pressing really hard. Then it folds easily with no wrinkling. I trim the edges with a paper cutter AFTER scoring so they match up perfectly!

I make them one to a sheet and use the standard large greeting card envelopes from Office Max/Depot, or two to a sheet and use the smaller "invitation" size envelopes.

The only thing to watch for with this paper is that the ink takes an unusually long time to dry, and the blacks don't settle into the paper for hours, so if the blacks look textured and "bumpy" at first, be assured that will go away with time. Just don't pile them up till next day because they stay a little sticky for quite a while.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2002, 08:58 PM

Carl's Card

Oh, Carl, how wonderful! Did that ornament already include the little reindeer? I love the way he sits there...so cute! I'll bet you got tons of compliments from the folks who got THIS card!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration