RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Ugly after effect of saving from .psd to .jpg

Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 AM

Ugly after effect of saving from .psd to .jpg

I saved this before/after of a family photo I'm restoring in order to upload it to my Facebook page, but when I save it as jpeg or gif or anything else for that matter, the folds in the mans pants take a real ugly turn. The pants in the before photo look great (aside from the damage of course), but I'm seeking advice on how to make the after (black & white side) look more natural. There's a few spots on the female as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't show here as well as it does on my facebook page, but the shadows of the mans pants have very harsh edges, almost looking posterized. Any direction would be most appreciated. I had to save this as .png-8 to get it small enough to upload, so I hope it's view-able.
Attached Images
File Type: png family.png (94.9 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM

Re: Ugly after effect of saving from .psd to .jpg

Not sure if it's going to work, but I copied/pasted a link to my facebook page that contains a larger picture of the same one I'm working on. I'm wondering if it is something that Facebook is doing...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 AM

I'm having similar problems with Facebook too. It's been going on for a couple weeks now. I don't know what they are doing differently.

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstaley View Post
Not sure if it's going to work, but I copied/pasted a link to my facebook page that contains a larger picture of the same one I'm working on. I'm wondering if it is something that Facebook is doing...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
If they use a different profile for images than the one you are using that could cause them to appear differently. I've seen this happen before with client images. The send us sRGB and their website (managed by someone else) assigns them Adobe RGB - big difference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Patron

Pjstaley can you change the setting on your facebook page version of the photo and your post so people can see it. If you make the post and your photo public then people will be able to view it - the rest of your page should remain private.

I usually downsize my images first before sending them off to facebook -using the save for the web function in PS. I must admit I haven't posted anything recently so it could be a glitch. The other thing worth trying is seeing if there are some post guidelines in facebook itself so you downsize the photo to the right size so the facebook algorithm doesn't have to do anything to the image when you post it.

Last edited by JoReam; 01-23-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: make reference to whom I am referring to clearer
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration