RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How'd I do?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Patron

How'd I do?

I posted my efforts to my blog. The images posted are not full sized. They are for display purposes only.

I don't want anyone to do the work, but I would like your comments on how to fix the problem areas.

You will see also that I identified the places where I need your thoughts. I circled them!

The spot on the face is one where I think I hurried through. I think I can fix that, although your comments would be greatly appreciated.

The two spots on the shoulder are easy to see. This is where the wrinkle in the paper created two different colors. I think one side must have been higher off the scanner, thus the difference in color.

As I said, I want to fix them... I want to learn what to do, and how to fix it. I would appreciate your direction and suggestions on what to do.

You may be as honest as need be, I'm a big boy. I would like to ask that you use terms, not abbreviations. I'm still trying to catch up to you folks!

Here's the link to my post:
http://michaelwinephotographic.com/2...toshop-repair/

I will come back to look, and I will thank you profusely, and credit will be properly noted!

Likewise, if it is preferred that I post directly, I certainly can do that.
(This is not an effort to boost my website numbers, you'll quickly recognize that the site is not terrific, so that has little significance!

Thanks in advance...

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Re: How'd I do?

It seems that the areas of the striped shirt have been patched to widely, there's only a thin tear that needing covering. Do this with the cloning tool or lassoing the area below and moving it over the missing part, put a layer mask on an brush in where needed. If it doesn't quite match use the warp function to align it. For the face, the only prob I can see is the shadow is a little heavier than the original so use the burn tool to soften it slightly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Patron

Well usually when I start a restoration, the first thing that I do is to correct luminosity and color of the whole image. I think your image can be improved by increasing the contrast and the midtown luminosity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC-2.jpg (45.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Curves2.jpg (109.4 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by philbach; 02-22-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Patron

Thanks for the comments Phil/RiTouch.

So, maybe I didn't do too bad a job for my first out of the gate.
I will definitely go back and look at replacing smaller spaces... my thinking was that maybe I could make it blend in, but it seems I accomplished the opposite.

I should have known to correct the color/contrast/luminosity ... old age?

I'll tak another stab at it and post the results.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Patron

Well I start with the color, contrast, and luminosity. I check the channels to see if one is better than the other and if there is a difference, I will select the best one. If you save the correction until the last step it may cause an increase in clone marks and dodge and burning areas previously done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Patron

OK, noted, thanks!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2015, 06:11 PM

A good tip is to start your edit in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw and do as much as you can there including overall tone and color and then using the dodge and burn tools such as the brush, gradient tool, and don't forget the magical radial tool for dodging and burning small areas with gradual fade out that you can control on the edges. I got the idea from watching Jack Davis and Jared Platt using it extensively on creativelive.com in facial and portrait retouching sometimes with 4 of them just on a face, for example.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM

I've had a go I hope you don't mind, I've done the channels method and then edit, fill, 50% grey then just paint in black where there are light colours.

Sorry I played about with colouring the photo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC-21.jpg (46.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by sergio2263; 03-01-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgidiva100 View Post
A good tip is to start your edit in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw and do as much as you can there including overall tone and color and then using the dodge and burn tools such as the brush, gradient tool, and don't forget the magical radial tool for dodging and burning small areas with gradual fade out that you can control on the edges. I got the idea from watching Jack Davis and Jared Platt using it extensively on creativelive.com in facial and portrait retouching sometimes with 4 of them just on a face, for example.
I am guessing you mean after repairing the tears and rips, right?
My post was mostly about the repair, and getting those three areas to match more completely. Next I'll work on the color/contrast, and once that is in shape, I want to try to colorize it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
...the channels method and then edit, fill, 50% grey then just paint in black where there are light colours...
I am not familiar with these terms, as I mentioned I get lost on familiar terminology. Can you give me a bit more detail about what you did, and what it does?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration