Photoshop
Levels
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Patron

Re: yellow spots on old negatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by frairep View Post
...Nevertheless, which sw did you use to convert jpg to raw and process? Did you use the same values as you used in helenovsky answer?
FWIW, you cannot convert a JPEG, TIFF or any other file format to raw.

JPEG etc have already been baked (or half baked depending on what you are going to do edit wise) from the raw data that digital device captures.

What you can do of course is use the tool set supplied in the raw editor (in this case ACR) to perform non destructive edits to your JPEG or TIFF. If you are only going to use ACR occasionally for JPEG edits then you may want to use Open As from PS and select Camera Raw from the drop down menu
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2015, 10:20 AM

I know that Tony.
But some people do not know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Patron

Hi Cupcake,
I know that you know but as the word converted used thought it worth flagging that no conversion taken place. I perhaps should also have added that a sidecar file will be spawned to carry the edit instructions and will need to be present with the original should you need to maintain a non destructive workflow relating to this image file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frairep View Post
...They were stored in Hama sheets but it seems that humidity was not ok and they stuck to the paper. I tried submerging them in destillated water but no success.

Many thanks;
Pablo
Probably not a good idea to submerge in water due to the fact that these negatives may have been processed through C41 chemistry. The last bath in C41 process is Stabiliser and it is designed to do several jobs including, hardening the film, aiding colour fastness of the dyes and basically protecting the film against fungal attack. By washing you have removed some/all of the protection so it would normally be recommended that you put the film through the final Stabiliser bath once again.

The uneven staining you are seeing is likely to be due to the reaction between the Hama sheets and film emulsion plus the effects of high humidity. You may want to consider washing the films and stabilising once again prior to putting the films in Archival storage bags and boxes
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2015, 04:32 PM

Thanks Tony, to both posts.
I knew that I cannot get a full raw from jpeg, but supposed that CupCake was referring to open as and applying to that file the set of transformations, now its confirmed.

Going to the wash, you are right the negatives were C41 processed. My intention was to get some of the last bath to try to recover the films, but unfortunately I could not get any sample.

Nevertheless I applied the water treatment only to one strip (I also digitized it previous to the water treatment). Caution is safer!

I'll try again to get some C41 stabilizer to wash them and see if I can get some improvement previous to go for the digital solution.

Many thanks to both you and CupCake
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2015, 01:17 PM

Often, blue and/or yellow (along with luminance masks) can be easily adjusted using Lab color mode and curves.
Doug.S
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration