Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Grey Shadow On picture

Old 05-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Janitor

Re: Grey Shadow On picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab Martin View Post
Wow the colorization is fantastic. I'm having problems with the huge white blotches.
C'mon guys. Don't just run rings, explain what you're doing.

See if the attachment helps. NOTE: this is just one of many possible ways to approach this, actually a quick & dirty way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip highlight fill.zip (709.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
C'mon guys. Don't just run rings, explain what you're doing.

See if the attachment helps. NOTE: this is just one of many possible ways to approach this, actually a quick & dirty way.
Great video. Well done!

I am one of those that uses pretty much of all that PS has to offer (plus plugins of course..) and subjectively retouch to my 'slant' on the particular project while trying keeping in mind, the OPs original request. However, it usually ends up with ,' Hey! That feels good. I'll post it just to offer a different perspective'.

My dilemma is trying to explain what I did but I do try retrace my approach in more detail ... when asked. My problem(s) is, a short-term memory and no video record. That's not fair I know 'cause most of what I know now was gained from these types of forums and those members that shared. I appreciate that.

Accordingly, I will try to help anytime... again, when asked. I have that approach from experience as many times, I never know if the OP has even seen any of the posts!

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Wolfman that's really good how did you color it?
Mostly I painted in the gray areas on the skin with a brush on a layer set to color
blending mode with the color from the skin that wasn't gray and then adjusted
the overall skin color with HSL in camera raw...same thing with the hair and lips.
After that I did some repair and smoothed out some of the tonal transitions with frequency separation.

It's not really complete.....some areas still need some work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I converted to BW, used curves (and masks) to adjust the contrast then painted on separate layers in colour mode.
You color is fantastic. How did you achieve such great colors or did you just do a shot in the dark?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Janitor

Have you seen the RetouchPRO LIVE show on colorization?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
You color is fantastic. How did you achieve such great colors or did you just do a shot in the dark?
Thanks.
Once converted to B&W, I applied contrast curves to provide more detail and then went to the colouring in colour mode steps. Firstly, I made a selection of her skin using Quick Mask mode and did the same for her hair, saved them to an alpha channel and started things off with a 'skin coloured' gradient, adjusted this with Hue/Saturation, Curves, etc and using a blank layer over top to add in blush colours, etc. Basically, the same for her hair. Because of the saved alpha channels, it was easy to keep the colour applications separate. Once I was close, including her lips and eyes, applications of Apply Image in both RGB and Lab modes, curves, etc to a merged duplicate got it to where I thought was natural looking. Now I could go further with some skin smoothing and selective sharpeneing.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2015, 01:12 AM

Not yet Doug, but thanks for the link, it looks like a great tutorial. I'll watch it tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2015, 02:20 AM

For some reason my color range is not selecting the same areas that yours did in the video. The fuzziness and range sliders are not available unless Localized color clusters is checked so I am not able to get to the really white areas. I'm using Photoshop CS6
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2015, 03:30 AM
Janitor

That's weird. I didn't know they changed that.

No matter, you can do the same thing using sampled color. Choose the middle of the highlight area, then click the eyedropper with the plus sign and click a few other areas surrounding it. If something gets selected you don't want selected use the eyedropper with the minus sign. Keep fuzziness at zero until you're close, then slowly move it up until you get the area you want. The rest of the steps are the same.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Patron

Well I first worked on the luminosity of the photo. I selected the blue channel which seemed to be the best, and used that on a new layer. Then I copied that layer using multiply blending mode. Then I painted the "blown out" areas on her cheeks with what I thought was a suitable color of gray. I then worked on that area with the healing brush tool to bring in some texture. I used the smudge tool on the hair. Finally I colorized it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouchb&w.jpg (105.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Retouchcolor.jpg (113.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration