RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

My First Photo Restoration/Reconstruction

Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Patron

Red face My First Photo Restoration/Reconstruction

This photo is me in 1984. Until a couple of weeks ago, all I had was very poor resolution scan. Fortunately I have now located the original, but I decided to work on the low res scan because I'm sure that's a scenario I will run into if I want to do this for others.

I am a photographer and I normally do art with my own high resolution digital photography, deliberately making my new photos look old. This is the first time I have ever tried to work on an old photo, and I had a little trouble letting go of nitpicking every pixel. I need to bite the bullet, go out and get that scanner to see what it's like to do this at higher resolution.

I also need to understand better what the industry standards are for this kind of thing. Still watching videos and I ordered some books. Anyway, just wanted to share my first attempt. How did I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aRoseBeforeAndAfter.jpg (818.8 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Janitor

Re: My First Photo Restoration/Reconstruction

Keep up the good work.

But try to cultivate local, in-person restoration. That way you can control the scans, but more importantly you won't be competing against the entire internet for work. Develop relationships with the local museums, frame stores, photo shops, history clubs, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Cool Re: My First Photo Restoration/Reconstruction

Hi RAnderson,

For a first photo restoration, I have to say, well done!

Most house hold scanners offer the option of scanning to a high dpi, 1200dpi and higher, providing you with an enormous amount of resolution to do your restores with. A good rule of thumb is 300dpi will give you enough resolution for a restoration that can be printed the same size as the original but it's best to work with more quality then you print, so 600dpi minimum is a safe bet to do your restoration work, at this resolution it is also possible to print double the original size!

So work on your high res images and sell people your skills. When you do work for others, it should be simple enough for them to provide you with photos that have adequate to high resolution.

In terms of nitpicking the pixels, a good way to not get too drawn in to that, is to work at 100% then zoom in only a tiny bit more. Work on the details you see at this point, once printed it will look lovely, there's no need to zoom in too far if the work you put in will never be seen!

Hope this helps :-)

Keep up the good work!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyhappypixels View Post
Hi RAnderson,

In terms of nitpicking the pixels, a good way to not get too drawn in to that, is to work at 100% then zoom in only a tiny bit more. Work on the details you see at this point, once printed it will look lovely, there's no need to zoom in too far if the work you put in will never be seen!

http://www.tinyhappypixels.com
Thank you! It's going to take some real self control. Hehe
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAnderson View Post
Thank you! It's going to take some real self control. Hehe
I know the feeling ;-)

Old 07-10-2015, 06:23 PM

There are some details that could use a little work, but overall I like it. I'll give you some examples. I notice that you extended the highlight portion of that fold in the skirt. It should match the tapering of other folds, even though you can't see it in the original due to the damage. I think you added slightly too much red overall. It could be my notebook screen, but I doubt it. I think it's actually quite good overall. That arm must have been tough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2015, 03:19 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
There are some details that could use a little work, but overall I like it. I'll give you some examples. I notice that you extended the highlight portion of that fold in the skirt. It should match the tapering of other folds, even though you can't see it in the original due to the damage. I think you added slightly too much red overall. It could be my notebook screen, but I doubt it. I think it's actually quite good overall. That arm must have been tough.
Thank you! I knew there was something wrong with that dress. It's glaringly obvious now. Yes, it was a really tough one and the arms were a nightmare. It's the worst photo I have.

I'm still getting used to figuring out what happened to a photo, and what should be there and what should not be. The photo attached here is my grandfather (terrible 150 dpi scan by a family member years ago, I can only hope the original still exists somewhere). The unrestored version has a blur on the right side of his cheek that does not look like it could be a part of the photo with his head turned that way. Either he turned his head as the camera went off, or the boat moved...you can see the collar of his jacket through it so it looks correct to take it out. Am I right or did I chop off part of my family member's face? Hehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FuzzyJohn-BeforeAndAfter.jpg (538.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration