RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Suggestions would be most appreciated

Old 07-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Patron

Red face Suggestions would be most appreciated

I have this photo of my husband's great great grandmother and cam stymied! I have repaired/restored some simple projects but this one..... Here is the original and what I have done so far. I don't know which looks worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we would love to share this with family. It was a tin type originally so the scan, I think, is pretty decent. My attempt, however, is not!! Suggestions would be most appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lt-Col-Wife-original-web.jpg (42.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Lt-Col-Wife-working-web.jpg (80.4 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 AM

Re: My First Photo Restoration/Reconstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena48 View Post
Suggestions would be most appreciated!
Hi Lena48,

That looks like a toughy! There seems to be a lot of surface damage to the original. A suggestion I can give, which is an approach I would use, is to create two curve layers, one where you pull the midpoint up, brightening the image quite a bit, then invert the mask so the effect is hidden, and the second do the opposite, so you bring the midpoint of the curve low, darkening the image quite a bit, again invert the mask. Now with a low opacity brush, 5%-10% begin to 'equalise' the tones of the image by brushing through light areas over areas that look too dark, and dark areas where it is currently too light, this will help to remove a lot of the damaged artifacts and should leave you with a tonally consistent image. It is a time consuming process though, as I'm sure you are aware, photo restoration can take it's sweet time, but the pay off is totally worth it!

From this point you can use the clone tool to clone any stubborn damage away.

I would also suggest keeping it as a black and white, it will keep the feeling of that nice old photo well :-) give it a bit of contrast to make it a bit punchy (not too much).

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2015, 02:46 AM

Re: Suggestions would be most appreciated

I wouldn't color it in like that. If you want to add color to a black and white image, you wouldn't want to just leave it painted over with color mode using a single swatch. You would want to blend in different colors for the deeper and lighter areas. It takes a while to get used to it. You instead stopped at a point where no one should ever stop on coloring, which is why it looks that way.

Anyway I'm partial to black and white. I think you could get a much better scan of this. I see what looks like banding, and banding is always bad. Your other efforts aren't so bad. Do you have any other photos of the same person? They might help for reference. Otherwise I would be a bit more gentle with adjustments. Well preserved images of this era don't have the level of contrast that you would see with newer films, so trying to add it just makes them look weird rather than restored.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Patron

Thank you - I'm heading back to work on this. I was getting so frustrated but I think sometimes that happens when we keep doing the same thing expecting different results! I'll keep you posted!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena48 View Post
I was getting so frustrated but I think sometimes that happens when we keep doing the same thing expecting different results!
It happens to me too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Patron

Thanks for that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 AM

I question the quality of the original scan also.

I have had much better results with these types of originals using a good quality DSLR and a double polarized lighting set up rather than a scanner. This method usually enhances the contrast significantly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Patron

The photo is on glass and some of the image was missing so I placed a black cloth against the glass which actually helped a lot (it may not look like it - but it really did). Sadly, this is the only photo of this gal in the family. I have copied out your suggestion and am going to have another go!! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2015, 01:02 AM

A play with cut/paste, denoise, different BG and vignetted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lt-Col-Wife-original-web.jpg (97.8 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Patron

Lena48, Wow, I appreciate your tenacity... from May 2013 - ( http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post316655 )

As a Patron you can post fairly large pictures which are under 200k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over the 200K allowed a Patron then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload, but also please attach an under 100K version (or 200K version as a patron) as you did here, so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links.
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) dropbox.com/ (2GIG, free) {the one I use the most}, post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image. (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)

Also, this link might be of some help when and if you re-copy the original scanners-textures-scratches-cracks-silvering

Please post a link to a larger, higher resolution version of the original so we may be able to help you more and maybe, finally get the results you are looking for..

Glad to see you on here again! Hang in there!

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 07-27-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration