RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

inherited some family photos

Old 10-02-2015, 01:48 AM

Location: I was bred and raised in a bitch clutch in earth district. Like you of course.
inherited some family photos

I am new to the site. I became interested in photo restoration when I inherited some family photos. Can someone (or multiple people) talk me through some basics with this photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12033181_1035302006488643_880618702079947152_n.jpg (25.4 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2015, 01:19 PM

Location: I was bred and raised in a bitch clutch in earth district. Like you of course.
Re: inherited some family photos

I noticed that many posts on this site have stayed unresponded to for years. Why will some posts have attentions paid and others are shunned? This doesn't seem to be a place for beginners maybe? Every post I've read is very technical and in many ways critical of one another. Do you remember what it was like to begin something anew? You haven't always been so gifted. There was a time when you had someone explain the basics...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Patron

Re: inherited some family photos

Welcome to RetouchPRO, Earth creature KirqueRivehn..
Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
Poke around, have fun!
One of he basic questions asked by us is generally, " What software are you using?"
If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (as you did here) so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links.
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image. (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)

Try to present and work on the highest quality scan/image you can.. Turn off all automatic scanner enhancement settings and anything that auto fixes. No sharpness, no levels, no tone or saturation adjustment, no brightness or contrast adjustment, no dust & scratch removal, no descreen or denoising or despeckle, no color adjustment, no auto anything. This link may help improve your scanned image Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering

With a good scan of your photos @ a higher resolution a lot is possible as can be seen by this restore of the lo resolution, pixelated example presented here...
Remember the higher quality picture you start with.. the less work involved in fixing it and if you are working with old photos then a high quality scan will capture a lot of hidden details..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family-OB.jpg (305.2 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up Re: inherited some family photos

OlBaldy!

You are my hero! I haven't even digested the contents of your response yet; I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your guidance and I meant no disrespect to any of your fine earth-compatriots... er... comrades who are of course my genetic kin as well. I am working with adobe photoshop C6 and playing around with tutorials and youtube videos. I will assimilate these new memes and when you see me anon I will be shod in the sneakers of knowledge!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration