RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

photo query.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:04 AM

photo query.

Hi,
I have a old photo of my uncle taken during his time in the RAF. However the photo only appears to be in detail when viewed in landscape and not in its normal portrait position? Think it's to do with reflection and the silver nitrate but not sure.

Can anyone please help with how to correct this? Attached is a scan of the same photo in both positions.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portrait 1.jpg (34.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg landscape 1.jpg (34.5 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Re: photo query.

Do a search on this site for "silvering" and "double polarized light". This image appears to be the perfect candidate for this technique. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Patron

It is not apparent from your images that there is much (if any!) difference between portrait or landscape scan. Of course it may be perceivable in a larger image or an increased scan resolution. There is a degree of uneven fading but it should not present too much of a problem to fix.

Attached are copies of your scan (with landscape rotated in PS). Curves layer applied plus B&W layer and a small degree of sharpening overall i.e. both images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scannedcomparison.jpg (162.1 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 AM

Many thanks Mike and Tony,

Perhaps using a camera with polarized light might correct the problem, but I dont have the means to do. The attached scan on the right looks more detailed to me. I wondered if anything can be done about the grain or would too much detail be lost?

Regards,
Mike H.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2016, 05:27 AM
Patron

It is not clear to me that you actually have silvering on this print. Silvering usually takes the form of shadow areas becoming lighter and showing a blue sheen (colour capture) e.g. http://www.cycleback.com/photoguide/silver.jpg

As to grain and detail it is not easy to comment accurately due to limitations of the posted image.

The image as provided is only 300x480 pixels so the assumption is that this is only for presentation in this forum.
Otherwise assuming this was intended for print at a 'reasonable resolution' of 300 ppi you would only get a print of 1" x 1.6"!

With this image even at moderate zoom JPEG artefacting can be observed this does not help in assessing sharpness.

So the question would be what size is the original print and what size do you want for the new print?
Also what were your scanner settings for the original scan, bit depth and resolution?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Hi Tony,
The actual size of the print is 120mm x 75mm. The image sent to the site was cut down in size due to the limitations and originally scanned at 2400 dpi. I also have a sacan at 1200 dpi. The machine is a basic HP model with no settings applied.

Regards,
Mike.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Hi Resolute
I would have to agree with others that I do not see silvering effects on the images. I also agree that what was uploaded is limited due to the pixel size and JPEG compression. Adjustments are much easier if you have a 16 bit version in TIFF format. I suggest sharing the best scan you have or can do through a sharing site (e.g. dropbox, google drive, etc).

This is the best I could do with an up-sized version of what you posted (using Camera Raw filter and duotone coloring) without also including specific repair processes.

Nice shot of your uncle BTW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portrait-1-adjusted.jpg (715.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
Hi Tony,
The actual size of the print is 120mm x 75mm. The image sent to the site was cut down in size due to the limitations and originally scanned at 2400 dpi. I also have a sacan at 1200 dpi. The machine is a basic HP model with no settings applied.

Regards,
Mike.
Ok so the original print (in old money ) measures 4.72" x 2.95" approx.

Taking your scan @1200 spi gives you an image size in pixels of 5668 x 3542.4. The scan @2400 may be too much with no gains in real resolution

Printing this 1200 spi scan @300 ppi would give you and image size of 18.9" x 11.8" or at 600 ppi 9.45" x 5.90" approximately

So you have enough pixels to print a reasonable sized image. By this I mean maybe around 2x original size, say around 10" x 6".

With all media there is a limit to the scanners ability to resolve real detail - for most print material you may get no real advantage after scanning at the equivalent of 600 spi.

But scanning at higher rates can/may help in a couple of ways:

1. Working on the image at a higher magnification may allow you to minimize uneven tones more accurately and when reduced to final output size work may be less noticeable than working on a final sized image.

2. Any noise may be minimised at the higher mag. using NR software and consequently when resized should become acceptable. I would likely sharpen a little after NR prior to downsizing and again for the final output size.

Hope this of some help
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Patron

Welcome to RetouchPRO Resolute,
Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
Poke around, have fun!
If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described in this thread:
(Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images..)
The save for web function in the latest Photoshop is hidden under File>Export>Save for web (legacy)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also, always please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links). (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: Upload here to your own Gallery
Or....one of these among many others:
ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free)

If you become a "Patron" You can attach files up to 1MB to any post, You won't see any ads on the site, There's a private forum just for Patrons, You can display an automatic signature under your posts, Your posts will clearly identify you as a Patron, so everyone knows of your generous support.

Welcome aboard !

Just some Black&White adjustments, A little sharpening, and some noise removal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portrait-1-OB.jpg (532.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 01-04-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 AM

Thanks to all for the input with this. I will look to post a larger sized scan but for the moment this is about the largest one I can send (reduced from 2400 dpi).

Sgt Norris Mervyn Harrison RAFVR (age 19).
Halifax Air Gunner, killed on operations 25th April 1944.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2400 dpi reduced size.jpg (87.1 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration