RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Restore color from light leak photoshop cc.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM

Restore color from light leak photoshop cc.

Restore color after fixing light leak Photoshop cc.

I have a color photo scan that has an orange light leak. How can I make the orange color go away? Most tutorials turn the photo to black and white. That part for me is easy, What I cannot do is restore the photo to color without the orange light leak. Or is that not possible? I have been following an old (PS 7) RetouchPro tutorial which works OK for black and white but the last part, which should turn the photo back to color, does not work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM

Re: Restore color from light leak photoshop cc.

Sample of image?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2016, 09:52 PM

have you tried this tutorial from here
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=304
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2016, 10:07 AM

You could try this it may help http://www.image-restore.co.uk/blog/...ak-correction/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 PM

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=304 [B][B][B]suggested by unamax001 tried that one and it was going well until I got to the "bring back the color" part and it did not work for me. What is the trick to bringing color back to the original color photo, (minus the light leak orange). Can anyone what I missing on that step? It was a very clear and concise tutorial up to that point. It was written for Photoshop 7 I think, and I have PS CC. Is that the problem (which I doubt), but your help would be appreciated.

thanks

soda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2016, 09:12 PM

Magic not working? How about elbow grease.

Assuming you are familiar with photoshop, here are the general steps, and this is where "step-by-step" everyone is talking about is correct. It's true, it's easier to affect luminosity and color separately, especially when you don't have initial color in the area you're targeting(it's all gone monochrome, sepia, blue etc). It's a LOT more involved usually, so you can't just "make color happen" as the tutorial would make you believe. If anything, it's similar to coloring a B&W image.

First, you need to make a loose mask for the area, and assign it to a group of layers. Then, working inside the group using curves, levels, channel mixer, you affect the luminosity. Once you're somewhere in the ballpark, refine masks on each adjustment, as well as the mask of the group. Clone, heal, DNB where necessary. Once that is done, you sample the colors off of the unaffected areas of the image, and make a couple of layers as to make color even. You have to do a lot of masking for each individual area of color, as well as create multiple blank layers set to color, gradient maps set to color, solid color layers set to color, and maybe even refine those with additional adjustment tools. In essence, you're "inventing" color for the areas that have none, or color that is not to your liking. Depending on your image, you might be able to pull back some color information from the original, but it's a rare occurrence in this sort of color damaged photos.

Last edited by skoobey; 08-16-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do colorizing and appreciate your reply. If the tutorial had simply said just recolorize as you would for a B and W it would have been clearer. I now know what I need to do.

Thanks so much, your reply was a great help

soda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 PM

This is the photo that I am trying to remove the light leak from. I see that I have to pay to attach. I an retired and on a limited income. I was hoping you could see this photo because the tutorial instructions do not work for it. It has a heavy light leak in the bottom right quadrant. I have tried everything and nothing works. I did get the Boeing aircraft example to work, thanks for your help, will just have to live with the light leak on the other one.

soda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2016, 03:59 PM

Dropbox is free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks skoobey. I will keep working on it, and will get it eventually. Always looking for a better way. Appreciate your time and interest.

Have a great Day
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration