RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Advice for attacking wide-spread mold?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Advice for attacking wide-spread mold?

Hello!

First time here! I've been learning some restoration techniques the last year or so but I've come across some photos that have me stumped. We had flooding with a hurricane here and a friend has photos that she's asked me to help with. Several of them have this very fine mold pretty much all over the photo.

I've tried Dust & Scratches but it's so wide-spread I couldn't get anything acceptable with that. I stumbled across a video about using the Color Replacement brush which seemed like a fix at first but quickly became problematic.

So what is the best way to approach this? Any advice please?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moldsample.jpg (22.3 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Re: Advice for attacking wide-spread mold?

moldsample.jpg

I don't know if this is helpful, but I used the green channel set to darken blending mode, 27% opacity (channel mixer, every channel set to green 100, rest 0), then made a curve to bring back the overall luminosity, then I have desaturated the reds using the hue/saturation adjustment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2017, 02:21 AM

Do you have a version without so much aggressive jpeg compression damage?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Patron

I'm a relative newbie to restoration and I've never tackled mold stains as wide-spread as this. Good advice from Skoobey on finding the channel, color saturation and tone levels that show the least amount of damage. Color balance might help too. For B&W photos, the B&W Filter filters are useful for filtering out colors that show the most damage.

Tackling mold in larger surface areas of the photo that have pretty much the same tone/color is different to tackling mold in fine details like hair, eyes, etc. For the larger areas, I usually just paint over them in a new layer with the base color/tone. I prefer 'painting' because it gives me good control over the color/tone (with curves/H&S) and transparency (brushes, color layer and any tied color/tone adjustment layers). An alternative would be to use a median filter over the area.

For the fine details that are damaged, I can't see any alternative to patching, cloning, copying and transforming from undamaged details, etc. But these are often relatively small parts of the photo as a whole. Where you can clone or patch cleaned-up details, to other areas of the photo, this saves time.

I doubt whether this is relevant but I watched an interesting video on 'frequency separation' at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhG9fmgC7o. It's a way of separating 'colors' and 'structure' into two separate layers so that you can work on each independently. The mold stains will show up in both layers. In the 'structure' layer, you can paint over the unwanted details (mold stains) in grey. On the colour layer you can blur, patch, clone or apply gaussian or median filters without destroying the 'structural details' you want to keep (which are in the other layer). This is probably an overkill for removing stains but it's something to be aware of.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
Do you have a version without so much aggressive jpeg compression damage?
Most likely yes :-) I scanned it myself and have the scan. I was having trouble getting it small enough to attach to my message and that's what I ended up with above.

I will try the suggestions here, as I'm looking to learn the methods for myself but I'd be happy to provide a better sample if anyone wants to have a try and tell me if they have a method that works!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2017, 04:57 PM

You can restore the photo to the original colors but you need better resolution image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (68.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbox View Post
You can restore the photo to the original colors but you need better resolution image
I have a better resolution scan of the photo itself, this was just a sample to show how wide-spread the mold is. What method(s) can be used to restore the original colors?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorrell View Post
I'm a relative newbie to restoration and I've never tackled mold stains as wide-spread as this. Good advice from Skoobey on finding the channel, color saturation and tone levels that show the least amount of damage. Color balance might help too. For B&W photos, the B&W Filter filters are useful for filtering out colors that show the most damage.
Thanks, Mike, lots of good points in your post (tho I don't know how to quote just a few parts <g>). Predictably, the green channel is the best, but I confess I'm stumped as to how to use that info to handle the mold AND keep it in color.

I've found painting as you've described helpful on a lot of the background, but particularly both their hair has very few areas clean to clone from, so that'll take some trial and error. (Probably lots of error!)

I recently tried frequency separation as well and I may give that a shot just to see what happens!

thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicmom View Post
I have a better resolution scan of the photo itself, this was just a sample to show how wide-spread the mold is. What method(s) can be used to restore the original colors?
You can minimize the red on the picture, restore the damaged parts and you can use the frequency separation (i use the Calvin Hollywood method) to restore the originals colors
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 PM

First you restore luminosity and color using information that you have, then you go into local adjustments. All of the things mentioned can help you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration