RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Grain/Noise Problem

Old 11-19-2002, 08:08 PM

Grain/Noise Problem

Hey All,

At the moment I have a pretty crappy scanner and as a result I get alot of graininess overall and a good deal of color noise in the shadows. Its bad enough that on some photos I have a very hard time striking a balance between noise/sharpness. I've tried every trick I can think of, including many I've found here but sometimes they just look bad no matter what I do. I won't be getting a new scanner until after Christmas and I'm about at wits end here. Does anyone have any ideas or advice that may help?

Thanks,

Rich
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2002, 08:23 PM

Is going to a lab and having the images scanned to CD an option for you? I've used that option before and it works out really well for me when it's necessary...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2002, 08:34 PM

Yeah, that could be a viable option. I'll have to look into it. Can't wait until after the holidays so I can update my toys...umm...tools, I meant to say tools.

Thanks jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2002, 11:15 PM
Janitor

This won't help much for color images, but I've found most noise from low-end scanners is located in the blue channel, so I make it a habit of inspecting the channels separately. For most b/w images, I like the red channel best, but it can vary.

For color images, running a noise-removal routine (a recent thread had a link for comparison reviews of many, including free ones) on each separate channel can help (but can also do more damage if the correction is severe).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2002, 11:47 PM

I'm not sure this will work (don't have an image to try it on at the moment), but have you tried changing to Lab color mode? If the graininess is really in the color, then perhaps it's not as visible in the L channel - and then you can slightly blur the a and b channel to reduce the color noise. Switch back to RGB when done, of course. Should help the noise in the shadows at the very least.

And do check out this thread that Doug mentioned. I've had some great results with Neat Image (one of the products mentioned in that thread).

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 06:02 PM

Doug:

Both the red and blue channels are pretty bad and the noise is coarser in the blue channel.

jeaniesa:

I tried out your suggestions in Lab mode and it worked fairly well. Thanks for that bit of info.

What really did the job was Neat Image. Even saving as .jpg and bringing it into Photoshop was better than anything I've been able to do scanning straight to Photoshop.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Rich
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration