Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Digital Camera Noise

Old 12-05-2002, 05:32 AM
I too have a Kodak DC4800. In low light conditions, the noise is pretty bad-almost unusable. In good lighting however the images can be quite spectacular.

I've tried even going to TIFF mode which produces about a 9 meg file but in low light, the noise is still there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 07:39 AM
Re: Digital Camera Noise

Originally posted by metabug
Hi all,

... is there a trick to removing digital camera noise in images, without totally blurring them ?
Hi metabug,

I've had some success by first going into Channels, removing/adjusting noise where it's most apparent. In the case of digital photos I get from one particular client it is usually the blue channel that needs adjustment.

There's also a tutorial by Jak for replacing a channel:

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 08:54 AM
Re: Camera Settings

Jak, In answer to your questions:

I am using JPEG at the highest quality setting. TIFF would be nice, but let's face it, not everyone has an IBM MicroDrive...

I am zooming in only with my lens (which allows 3x optical zoom); that should not affect things, I think.

I usually set ISO on auto; in this case, the ISO was 200 I think (I did not save the image info, sorry).

Also, I am not really a professional, so print image sizes don't matter to me that much. I keep all my images in digital format. I resize them sometimes if I want to magnify some area or make the image smaller for email/ftp. In this case, however, I did not resize anything. The image is at the original resolution of 2160x1440.

Also, I was really surprised to read the URL you posted about the DC4800. My experience mirrors gland's: low light means high noise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Here are some more sites:
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 08:59 PM
If you like blurring the blue channel of RGB, then please do yourself a favour and try this experiment:

* Find a noisy blue channel file (use three dupes, but I prefer history snapshots in Photoshop).

* Directly blur the B channel in RGB how you normally would.

* In a dupe or as a new history state/snapshot - dupe the layer and set to COLOR blend mode and then do the blur. Flatten. You can also just go blur/fade to color blend mode if not using layers.

* Inspect the results of 'Indirect Colour Component Filtering' vs direct filtering.

* Then experiment with using larger blurs, or combinations of smaller filtering including despeckle, median, smart blur, gaussian blur etc.

This simulates LAB, HSB, HSI, HSL, YCC type colour modes - where colour (hue/saturation) is separated from tone.

More on this subject can be found here:

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration