RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

What restoration means to you

Old 04-26-2002, 08:15 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
CJ, that was great! I know where you're coming from, and I could tell you a little story, but if I did I'd probably wind up in the looney bin!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 08:35 PM

Now, Ed, you know you can't just expect me to let that statement lie there. Puleeeeze, tell me a story!

(I used to be a counselor, so I'll help you get out of the loony bin).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 09:16 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Okay, but don't forget your promise! I have a photo of one of my aunts who died (at 17 years old) more than 20 years before I was born. She was one of 16 children, most of whom I remember. But for some strange reason since I got her picture, I've felt closer to her than any of my other aunts or uncles. Pleeeeez don't give my address to the guys in the white coats!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 09:48 PM

As some of you know, I primarly run a portrait studio and do a lot of copying and restoration of old photos on the side. About two weeks ago we redid our portrait pricing and info pamphlet. We changed it over to read in part:

"Many of us have a copy of an old, old portrait of our family. Maybe its one of those large groups with all the family gathered round. Could be those little kids in the front are your parents, or even your grandparents. With the passing of time many of those people have now grown old and a good many of them are gone, which makes the value of that window into your past beyond calculation. What will your great-grandchildren have of you?"

I hope that you all do not get so wropped up in your past that you forget to take care of your great-grandkids past also.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 10:37 PM

Ed, I've had "instant rapport" with a few people in my life, and see no reason why you couldn't have it with a family member via a photograph. One of my cousins was killed in WWII, and all I've ever seen of him is a photo -- a photo of a happy, friendly young man who would be appealing even if he wasn't related. I've always felt great affection for this forever young man -- I know that part of it is based on the feelings of other family members who loved him (and love him still), but it is also based on a connection to the man I see in the photo -- a man that I love, but have never, and will never, meet.

Mike,
Such an important point -- we need to protect treasures of our heritage and create new treasures for the generations to come. Maybe I should go get a portrait done!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 03:19 AM

Oh man, what a question!

If you guys don't already think I'm a little twisted, this is gonna clench it for sure...

Everyone expressed such wonderfully sentimental thoughts. You know, I am heavily into my family genealogy and it's strange but none of those sentimental thoughts ever crossed my mind with regards to actually RESTORING a photograph...

You have to know a little about me though in order for me to explain how I feel about it...

Most of the men in my family hunt. Deer, turkey, ducks, squirrels, groundhogs - heck, they'll hunt anything it's legal to track down and kill. When they have brought home a big buck, they can hang his head on the wall and prove that they are conquerors.

I am not into killing stuff. I don't hunt.

I have always loved Rodeo. Besides being a lab rat and photo restorer, I am also a professional Rodeo photographer. For the cowboys who ride roughstock (bulls & broncs) there is this tremendous contest between man and beast. And when a cowboy stays on for 8 seconds, he is the conqueror of the world for that moment.

I am not a cowboy. I don't ride bulls.

Shooting rodeo and restoring pictures are the way I conquer the impossible. I hunt for the perfect shot. And I hunt for the perfect "fix". And when I get that perfectly timed shot, or feel well satisfied with the work I've done on an impossible image, I have this amazing sense of accomplishment and pride...

And then that feeling wears off, and I need a new "fix".

It's my drug of choice.

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 03:31 PM

Jakaleena states:

"I don't hunt.
I don't ride bulls. "

One thing you do, and do well, is write. It will be interesting to see your next target after it's captured and restored.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 09:59 PM

Oh CJ, thanks so much for the wonderful compliment. It's kinda funny really...

I fell into photography as a profession pretty soon after graduation from high school and kept putting off going to college. I didn't go to college until 20 years after I had graduated from high school (I just REALLY wanted a college education - I've never actually USED it for anything). My major in College was English. And I was the editor of the literary publication.

I love to write. I write a lot - mostly poetry - and have been published in a wide variety of artsy Lit Mags that no one has ever heard of. It doesn't pay squat, but it's balm for the soul.

I think one of the proudest moments of my life was in college, when I submitted a story of mine to the International Honor Society Annual Anthology. They had over 1700 submissions from all over the world. They chose (if I remember correctly) only about 10 to publish. Mine was one of them...

Thank you so much for your kind comment...

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2002, 05:41 AM

Jak,

I believe that you have USED your education frequently throughout your life, you just haven't needed to use the diploma.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Cool Restoring the memory, not just the picture

Doug, I completely agree with you. When I do a restoration, it certainly has a lasting effect on me. That is why I strive so hard to restore to the most exact copy of the original as possible. I don't understand when I see other people's work, and they have taken the easy way out, and made the picture better, but not exact. I realize that sometimes you have no choice but to alter certain things, but I will try everything else possible first. An example of this, is a picture I recently did for a woman I know. She is in her 50's, and the picture was taken when she was 21. The pic was if her laying on a couch. The couch had texture, and buttons on it, which was more difficult for me to restore because of shading, and my limited skills. But, I refused to omit those buttons. Even when I was at my wits end, and ready to just give up on it, I didn't. I couldn't help but wonder who's house she was at, and who's couch it was. When I look at old photos of me, I can remember how things felt, sounded and smelled. Those buttons were important. I had to restore the "whole" memory. And it was so worth it seeing the look in hers eyes as she took in the finished product.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration