Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How much would you charge?

Old 12-11-2002, 09:33 PM

How much would you charge?

Hi.

I am just curious how much you guys would charge a customer
for this picture restoration...

Ang how long would it take you to complete the work. I just want an estimate so I can ccompare to myself.

Originally the picture wase broken in half in the bottom portion horizontally, but since I do not have a big professional scanner, I had to break the picture into more pieces which made the process longer.

Thanks much :-) I really appreciate everyone's expertise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howmuch.jpg (83.1 KB, 316 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 11:02 PM

Balky, this is what we would quote. Note that the items that have a range, it depends on how the customer wants us to handle the image.

-Scan and assemble / optimize = $30
-faces, left to right, #1 & #3 look like no to little work $0
-#2 $25
-mom #4 $100 to $150 depending on the source for the hair
-Background, extend top $100
-Floor: Vingette $25, or extend floor $100
-Arms on mom / Clothing / legs $50
-8x10 digital print (just guessing on size) $33

Total ranges from $363 to $488 plus tax
We would quote 3 weeks
Thanks, I am excited to see how others would quote this one also
-Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 11:22 PM

Based on your website pricing structure, about $100-140 should get this job done. Roughly 4 to 5 hours.

The quote should also depend on how far your customer wants you to take the restoration. The photo itself is not in that bad of shape, the missing parts are the kicker, those will take some time to put together, unless the customer can provide another picture with hair.

Personally, I would quote this at about 5 hours or $175.00 I charge a flat hourly rate. Less if she has a photo for the hair and arm.

Let us know how it goes!

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 11:43 PM

This is the whole point for me to know how much YOU would charge and how long it would take YOU to complete.

I would probably agree most with roger_ele's price quote!

I may not complete the work as quickly as some professionals would, but I'd rather do it a bit more slowly BUT more qualitatively! And the speed will come with experience :-)

I know how much I charge, and I know how long it took me to complete it because I did complete the work already. I did not use any parts from other pictures to fill in the missed areas. Everything was taken from the same picture.

It may seem like this picture does not have much wrong with it... But it does have many scratches and tears if you loo closely. It was an over-sized picture about - 19x15" aprox. so I had to split it into more pieces than there were there originally... it took me a few hours to put them together (5 pices = 10 bucks to scan each = 50 bucks) My extensive Restoration is $100.00,which cover about 4 hrs of work, anything more than that, is $40.00 additional hrs. I was timing myself every time I worked on that picture, and would stop the timer when I wouldn't work on it. WHen it was done, the timer read 13 hrs... well, I took off about 3 hrs because there were times when I had forgotten to stop the timer. So 10 hrs out of which 4 were covered by 100 bucks and 6 - 40/hr = 240.00
Subtotal - 340.00 plus 50.00 for scanning, and a pic 8x10 and a CD I would include in the price. I was willing to accept a few installments of payment.

A lot of people that ask us to do this kind of work, underestimate our labor. They think we have a machine in which we put their original, then press a botton, and the resolt comes out... They always ask WOW SO EXPENSIVE! My friend once came ehre and saw me fixing a picture mm by mm, inch by inch... she was like OH MY, YOU DO IT LIKE THAT? DAMN, it looks paiful!

HA! :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after.jpg (68.9 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by Balky; 12-11-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 12:06 AM

Good job, I see where you got the hair.

In a low quality small jpg image it is hard to see all the cracks and damage to the picture. I still think that I could have it completed in about 5 hours. But, I base this on what I can see...

Your right, people do sometime bark at the prices that we charge, but if they want the job done right...

I have had several customers watch me work on there image and they are amazed that I actually do all the work! Like you said, they think that you have a magic amchine that just churns these things out, well.... I tell my customers that Photoshop is a powerfull TOOL that I work my magic with, it doesn't do the work for you, not in this version anyway!

I just finished restoring 9 images for a customer, a couple that were a desaster, almost beyond repair, but the finished restoration is MUCH better than the original. Several of them were torn and a few had missing parts. I spent a total of 15 hours on all of them, charged her for 11 hours (discount for image use on my website) and she couldn't be happier.

The restoration that you did looks pretty good. I would LOVE to see a high res copy of it.

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 06:06 AM

I have a question.
I've never considered charging for scanning. What is the reasoning behind that? Why do you quote that seperately?
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 08:30 AM

Nice job on the finished image, Balky!

I charge by the job for each image, but my estimate is based on a $50/hr. rate and the estimate is given just by looking at the image and making an educated guess as to how long it will take me to complete the job. I also charge an additional fee for original images larger than 8x10, which would add $25 to the cost of this one.

Looking at your image, I'd guess that it would take me about 5 hours to finish, which would mean that I'd quote the job at $275.

I'd give the client a 3-4 week turnaround.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 10:25 AM

Hi.

Thanks for the compliment, Jak! and everyone who has posted a reply so far.

Vikki, that was a good question. Before I decided to do that, I have been to many business related websites where I saw that people charge to scan a photo. Those prices varry. Even Doug charges 15 dollars for scanning...

I will explain why: Sometimes a picture needs to be scanned more than once to transfer alll of the detail, e.g. I was scanning a pic, the woman was on stage in a dress with sparkles... I Had to scan that pic 3 times before I could get those sparkle... each time I had to play with sliders before scanning to make the brightness and curves right... That work takes time too unfortunately :-(

I always adjust the image (tonal and color) before I scaan and then after scan in Photoshop already.

I hope I was able to answer your question clearly. If you still have questions, please do ask :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 04:01 PM

Balky: I forgot to mention that I would estimate from 5 to 10 hours (depending on what kind of day we are having ...:-))

Vicky: We charge seperately for scanning for these reasons;
-It does take time, expense, expertise and equipment - if we were to outsource the scanning we would have to pay for it.
-The customer understands where the total bill comes from by breaking it into pieces.
-It leaves open the idea of scanning and printing without art work, if not for this image possibly for images that the customer has at home, which can mean more business.

Added note on quoting objects in the photo seperately:
-By breaking the quote it seperate sections / steps we are more consistant in our quoting, it is less a factor of our mood at the moment and forces us to be aware of the details. ALso, when used to quote by guesstimate, we found that smaller originals used to be quoted a lower price by accident because we did not notice some of the tiny problems, so quoting based on the objects in the photo fixed that problem.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 04:59 PM

Good points about the scanning!
Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration