RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Facial reconstruction

Old 12-18-2002, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info CJ. That was enough info to let me know what it does. I don't have time for an additional software learning curve right now. I'll have to postpone that to another time. I'm more interested in Photoshop techniques right now that I can apply along with getting used to the tablet. Wish I had more time, and now with Christmas comming next week. Wow where does the time go!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 12:25 AM

Just to follow up briefly, a high quality photo with the same pose, lighting and similar facial features will achieve the same results. The overlay shadow mask's opacity is reduced to somewhere around 30-50% depending how much detail is required in the face.

VidKid
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the additional tip Vidkid! For those of us with tons of pictures around (I admit, I'm one of them), that's really helpful!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 02:41 PM

Facial reconstruction can be one of the biggest challenges we can encounter as the wrong interpretation of some facial feature can completely alter the whole photo.
I've been considering scanning all of the photos in my collection and cropping each facial feature like say the eyes and saving them all to their own individual files. Kind of like those identikit pictures you see police on TV use. So if I have a problem with a particular feature say the nose I can open the file and see a number of variations of noses and maybe use one or part of one for the reconstruction. Scanning them all and setting up the files is going to take some time but I think it may be of some use for those difficult restorations. What do others think? Is it a good idea or a waste of time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 04:32 PM

I think that's an excellent idea Sandra. Maybe something like that could be collaborated on, we could all add our own until we have a good sized database of parts to use on restorations, which I think would be really valuable. Maybe a new "Parts Archive" or section of the gallery could be set up for this if theres enough interest?

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 06:19 PM

That's a good idea David. If Doug doesn't have the space here I know I have plenty of space on my site I could put it up there if it would tax RetouchPro's resources, I'm not sure how much space a data base like that would take.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 09:17 PM

Sounds like you guys are on to something there. I can see it now, digital body parts transplants. I have done that on limited basis myself but small things like taking a right side ear and flipping it over and attaching it to the left side of the face. That doesn't always work because the aspect ratio isn't always right, ie the person would have to be looking squarely at the camera for both ears to be exactly the same size. It is not very easy, at least for me, to do that transplant and change the size of the part and flip it etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 10:06 AM

Definitely a good idea Sandra! I've had that idea too - just no time to actually do it! I think that I could at least handle cropping out the various parts when I finish working on a photo - that won't take much extra time and should give me a good base of images after some time. I'd like to include arms/shoulders/elbows and legs/knees/feet as well as facial features! (I've spent hours looking for those parts a few times as well.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 07:01 PM

yes I think maybe other parts of the body wouldl be good too. I remember spending hours looking for a foot. I'll start on it over the Christmas break as work will be slow and I might have more time to play with things like this. I thought men. women and children sections then sub sections for each body part might narrow searches down a bit. I already have a lot of photos that I've scanned on disks so it won't be too hard to crop the parts and put them in a table for easy access. I already have a program on my site that allows people to upload to my site so I'm sure I can adapt it to allow any of us to upload our images to the "body parts" area. I'll put it up on my website for the moment as I don't want to add to Dougs workload. But if he wants it here at RetouchPro that would be cool too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 07:19 PM

Sounds like a great idea....

Can someone give us a kinda of blueprint....of what we should do with a picture..

Like just two matching eyes, like a mask? single nose and so on. What is the largest size and smallest? Little more details would help so we can start working on this project.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration