RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Facial reconstruction

Old 12-16-2002, 08:23 PM

Facial reconstruction

I have tried searching for tips on this subject. If I knew the right key words I might have had better results. I am looking for resources on techniques and guidelines for reconstructing faces. I have a couple of images that have badly blown-out facial areas. In some cases a 1/4 of one side of a face is gone. I am not an artist and, being a man, know very little about makeup techniques. I'm learning to use my Graphire2 but I really stink in freehand drawing.

Maybe there is a good book I can buy? I have Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching, and Martin Evening's Adobe Photoshop for Photographers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I really stink in freehand drawing. - Kevin
I'm a longtime member of THAT club! I think it was Mig or some other artist RP member who posted some info about symmetry related to the human face -- like where the ears and eyes should be, so that when restoring an extremely damaged photo, we would know where to attach a new ear, etc.

Hopefully, someone willl remind us where that post is ("Search" doesn't work too well if I don't remember what term was used in the post...) On the net, I recently found a website with tips for cartoon drawing that included a bit of direction about facial symmetry (see "Horiz_sym" below), and the About webpages have a section on drawing portraits which have some info about facial construction. I knew "approximately" where to replace ears, but having a specific guideline can help when the photo doesn't give many clues.

Lessons - Drawing Portraits

Modes of thinking
Attached Images
File Type: gif horiz symmetry.gif (33.0 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 12-17-2002 at 01:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 05:43 AM

CJ I too am a member of THAT club. Thanks for the links.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 01:33 PM

I just looked at that Horizontal Symmetry diagram and that's great for cartoons and all but that's not very realistic for humans at all. Who's ears are placed that high? Not mine! The middle of my ear falls at the end of my nose, not at the center of my eyes. That's crazy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Who's ears are placed that high? -- Alceria
Hmmm, mine seem to be... Maybe that explains some of the looks I get when I go out...

We'll all be happy to have someone who knows explain where everything lines up. On one of the links, an artist is drawing a woman and says that people's faces are different, but I'm hoping that there is some rule of thumb for us non-drawing types.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 03:17 PM

Hi CJ. Thanks for the links. Some interesting reading. I've done some body part transplanting but that doesn't always work. I'm afraid that my poor hand-eye coordination will always hamper my artistic efforts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 12:19 AM

I'm not sure if this directly answers your question, but for really washed out facial features, I revert to Poser for shadow masks.
Just get the face pose and features similar to your tattered original and output to grayscale. Blend with either an overlay or soft/hard light layer mode and create a mask to maintain details in the eyes, nose and mouth areas. It's not a cure-all, but it will improve facial features without airbrushing.

VidKid
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 11:21 AM

Wow - very intruguing solution VidKid! Great - now I have another application to learn!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 02:18 PM

That sounds interesting vidkid. How do I get information on Poser?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 08:56 PM

Kevin, we have a few users of Poser on RetouchPRO, Vidkid obviously among them -- maybe starting a new thread asking for info on Poser would alert them to come chat about their experiences. (I couldn't get the "Search" option here to list threads that mention Poser, but I know it's been mentioned a number of times.)

Amazon sells the software, and here's a clip of their description:

Amazon.com Product Description
Poser 5 is an ideal 3-D character design and animation tool for artists and animators. Create 3-D figures using a diverse collection of ready-to-use 3-D human and animal models. Poser's innovative interface makes figure design, posing, and animating fast and easy. Map facial photos, grow and style dynamic hair, and create dynamic cloth to add extraordinary realism to your figure....

The interface is broken down into different rooms: Pose, Material, Face, Hair, Cloth, Setup, and Content. The new Face Room lets you map any face onto a 3-D head using just front and side photos of someone's face. Use the Hair Room to grow actual 3-D hair for figures in just a few steps. Go to the Cloth Room and convert objects into fully dynamic cloth with complete control of behavior. A full, revised reference manual is included....

Here's a page that offers tutorials and info -- if you start a new thread, I'll bet you'd get a lot of link referrals.

JCH Poser Page
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration