RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Well, I guess it's dead

Old 11-24-2001, 07:32 PM

Well, doggies!!! I guess it's not dead - just playin' possum!

"You can't recreate a tintype on metal with photoshop..."

So, in this case, do you produce a new print on metal and repair the copy, or do you actually repair the original?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 09:24 PM

Finally someone who really knows about the traditional method of restoration

Jim,
Welcome aboard and I am thrilled to know that the original form of restoration is still surviving somewhere out there. It's a shame when progress takes away from true artistry and craftsmanship.
Now that you are here, you can fill us in on what is involved in restoring original photos. What are the limitations? I am curious as to how you go about it. For instance, cracks or rips and severly faded photos and more and what tools to you use. I'm factinated and would love to hear more about it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Swartz
Well, doggies!!! I guess it's not dead - just playin' possum!

"You can't recreate a tintype on metal with photoshop..."

So, in this case, do you produce a new print on metal and repair the copy, or do you actually repair the original?
Whatever the customer wants ... restoring an original can be as simple as a bit of spotting or a new coating ... for example replacing the backing in the case on an Ambro is a two minute task that often makes it "come alive" again. Lots of things that can be done as soon as you start looking at the possibilites. Tell a customer you CAN make a tintype if that's what they want and you'll soon find that they will gain a whole new respect for your business even if they end up ordering a plain RC print.

Jim Conway
Timemark Photo Conservators
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 02:08 PM

Re: Finally someone who really knows about the traditional method of restoration

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dubovsky
Jim,
Welcome aboard and I am thrilled to know that the original form of restoration is still surviving somewhere out there. It's a shame when progress takes away from true artistry and craftsmanship.
Now that you are here, you can fill us in on what is involved in restoring original photos. What are the limitations? I am curious as to how you go about it. For instance, cracks or rips and severly faded photos and more and what tools to you use. I'm factinated and would love to hear more about it.
DJ
Wow what a request! Probably the best starting point is cleaning. Everybody knows that's an essential with oil paintings but most never consider it with photos so they leave a half century or more of scum on them from fireplanes, kitchen grease, oil furnaces, etc. If the old photo was treasured it was usually displayed and if it was displayed it is dirty.

So the buzz is to tell people to put them into an "acid free" album like we are telling them something important. Why? A dirty photo in an acid free abum is still a contaminated dirty photo and when you are copying or scanning and adding that collection of dirt and grime to the image forever more, it borders on negligence that would get you sued in any other profession. (I feel strongly about professionalism)

Once you start with the idea that cleaning can and must be done, the rest will follow and you'll learn as you go. The rules of conservartion are that you don't take on anything that you can't "undo" or that isn't reversible. Replacing the grime on old photos is the one exception!

Jim Conway
Timemark Photo Conservators
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 03:49 PM
Janitor

Please feel free to start as many new threads as you'd like in our new "Conservation and Repair" forum and educate us all

This cleaning business would be an ideal start. We also get a lot of questions about removing old mounts. There's one there now, I believe.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration