Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

perfectionism - bane or boon?

Old 06-12-2002, 03:45 PM
No, it's not a girl thing. I have been a perfectionist since I started at age 4 or 5. I actually remember a certain drawing I worked on back then. I did not think of it in those terms though, as I just wanted it to look right. I am a dirty perfectionest, I know quite well that nothing I have ever done was even near perfect, so I accept that.
My main atribute is probably my attention to detail. I had at five and still do. It also carried over into other jobs I've had, i.e. Draftsman, Engineering Tech, Mechanic, Printer Tech, and on. The challenges are very demanding as most things I do that depend on hand eye coordination and seeing, I come out pretty high up, but one these, hey, I don't even want to try them all. There's just too much talent here.
I do get bogged down with time because of it. I just finished a Portrait that I had started before I got the Graphire for xmas last. Finally I just said, tonite it's done, no matter what happens. You can see it in my the gallery, and it is not as good as I wanted.........tough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 04:46 PM
I'm a perfectionist and I do feel it hinders my business. I spend way too much time on each job. I have to learn when enough is enough. I don't like giving my clients photos unless I'm happy with them but to be realistic I'm hardly ever completely happy with some jobs. One of the hardest things I've done lately is doing only what the customer requested. I had a job where the customer only wanted the photo brighteded up she didn't want any restoration done and believe me there was plenty to restore. I wasn't happy with the end result after adjusting the levels, curves brightness/contrast and hue/saturation. I could still see all the imperfections but I had to do what the customer requested. When I handed her the photo she was delighted. I commented that I could have done a restoration for just a little more but she said she loved it the way it was, imperfections and all. That made me realize that even though I can see a photos faults maybe I'm over analysing and being too critical at times.So now I'm trying to get other people to look at the photo and tell me what they see and if they say it's good then I try to stop fussing over the photo, it's hard but I'm trying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 01:28 AM
You're right Sanda, we have to give the customer what s/he wants regardless of what we think is "correct". A while back I did a restoration for an old lady, and went to endless trouble trying to restore the really nice sepia tones from the original. When I showed it to the old dear, she said she'd only wanted it restored to look like a "new" black and white photo. I went back to my pre-sepia image, and printed that. In spite of Epson's difficulty with printing B/W images she was as happy as a young girl with what I'd produced.

I think often we remove things from a photo, in trying to make it "artistically correct" only to find it is relevant to the customer. Here, I think of Steve Gibson's challenge in which some members removed the folks in the background. I'm sure those folks in the background have some sentimental value to Steve's Mom...

I agree with Greg. Perfectionism is not a "girl thing" at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 09:12 AM
As there are fine lines sometimes between insanity and brilliance, courage and stupidity, so can be the distinction between excellence and perfection.

Striving for excellence is a good thing. Striving for perfection is a waste of time.

As I posted in another thread, I go with the mantra:
"Know when good enough is good enough."

It also helps, as in BigAl's example, to understand what a customer really wants. Diving that consistently and accurately would be an another interesting topic conversation.

Chalk one up for the boy's club on this one.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by DannyRaphael

As I posted in another thread, I go with the mantra:
"Know when good enough is good enough."

Chalk one up for the boy's club on this one.

My step-dad is a member of the boy's club too. And for him, "good enough" is also a mantra. He happens to be the guy who "fixed" the drivers side mirror on my van by clenching a pair of vice grips on it to keep it from moving and who's idea of a great fix for his broken windshield wiper is a string that he can pull back and forth from inside his truck...

I'm not sure that "knowing when good enough is good enough" has the same meaning for everyone.

Maybe half a chalk mark for the boy's club...?

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration