RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

perfectionism - bane or boon?

Old 08-31-2001, 09:57 AM

perfectionism - bane or boon?

vikki and jeanie have both referred to being perfectionists in recent posts, and i have wanted to ask others about this for a while, both, are you one? does it help or hinder your work as a restorer?

By and large, i think i would prefer not to be. i think it decreases the likelihood of my ever being commercially successful as a restorer. the end product is better, i'm sure, but it takes me so long can't expect anyone to pay me for that kind of time. help me help me somebody help me, im zoomed in to 1600 and i can't stop cloning.

someone had a post yesterday, maybe more than one, about how much is enough (restoring) and knowing when to quit.

maybe as i climb every learning curve this will all level out, and get reasonable. i also wonder if this is a girl thing - how bout it, guys?

i have started this thread in the forum that prompted the thought, but if it better belongs elsewhere, please move it - love to feel myself flying through cyberspace.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 10:09 AM

I would have to agree with you.

I'm having fits with the "Before the storm" challenge because I want everything "just right." to the point where I'm moving pixels around like a shepherd moves his sheep.
(I fussed for hours on the Brother and sister challenge using that technique)

My roommate find it extremely hilarious as she hears curses and mutters and all sorts of foul language with hate thick enough to chase the cats out of the room.

Of course, the dog stays there and just wags it's tail in anticipation for a snack, but I digress....

You're right, though being too much of a perfectionist can slow down your work and output, but would it also help with repeate business as you get faster in your techniques?

Rick

<tosses two pennies with a nervous tic in his right eye>
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 10:38 AM

Carried to the extreme anything becomes a bane rather than a boon, I tend to look at prefectionism in the context of the individual photo before me. In some instances trying to produce a pristine result is not only impossible at this time and with this technology - it is undesirable as too much of the restorers own interpretation of "what it should look like" can overshadow and color the end result leaving a photo which is less a restoration than an idealized view of what it "should" look like. "Should" and "actually does" being frequently at opposite ends of the reality scale. I suppose I think that perfectionism is a "must" to do this work correctly,anything less means to me sloppy work,however the perfectionism must be tempered with insight and feeling along with a firm personal belief and understanding of what one is trying to accomplish with a given photo. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 11:23 AM

Well, I just posted almost the exact same question over in Work/Jobs. Might as well combine them. How do we do that Doug?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 11:26 AM

now there's a moniker if i ever heard one: pixel shepherd. herd them pixels. git along little pixels. tom, you should be able to do something with that.

Quote:
I suppose I think that perfectionism is a "must" to do this work correctly,anything less means to me sloppy work,however the perfectionism must be tempered with insight and feeling along with a firm personal belief and understanding of what one is trying to accomplish with a given photo
tom, that was bracing. thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 01:26 PM

I usually quote someone what I think is a minor restoration only to find I've slaved over it for hours picking away at each out of place pixel. What's even more aggriavating is being such a picky perfectionist and then after all that time spent eradicating the smallest blemish, you finally print it out and see something you missed. It seems no matter how hard or long I work, it will never be done. I usually have to say, is it detrimental to the whole picture or is it only noticable by me and if it's only me who sees it then I quit. Or you give it to someone else to go the once over and they see something totally different. I guess we have to accept that we are not Gods and perfect is really unatainable but frustrating none the less.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 02:56 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That's a tough thing to ponder. "Perfect" in this line of work could mean something very different from one individual to another. For instance, one might choose to leave an old beat-up photo with some marks of time, where another person might want it to look like it was picked up at the photo finisher's this morning. I haven't done a lot of this work, but the more I get into it, the more I think I would belong to the school of "enough is enough". So being a perfectionist in my case, would probably not take a lot of extra time because I would try to preserve some of the "old" look, although I have tried to do just the opposite in the past.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 09:08 PM

Well as a perfectionist myself I think that's why I get frustrated as I do tend to follow what Ed had said in that I try to make it look like it was just taken.

Maybe I'm just a neat freak...LOL.

Well I am going to start trimming back my perfectionism a bit as it is getting out of hand in that I"m spending way too much time versus the amount of money received on pictures.

My husband says it looks okay...but then he might just be biased...LOL.

Really though I am going to try and be a bit less picky.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 08:56 AM

I was just reading through some old threads and found this one. I too am one of those people who can get sucked in to trying to fix every little flaw. That's not such a bad thing when the photo has a reasonable amount of damage, but it can get way out of control when the photo is really wrecked...

My main problem is that I always feel that if I don't fix every little thing, the client will be disappointed in the work. Or that they will think that I don't really know what I'm doing after all...

Usually, I charge by the job, not by the hour, so I'm really only hurting myself.

I wonder if there are any people that are new here to RP that might have some wise words to add to this post?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 12:28 PM

Jakaleena,

I try to do my best with each assignment and not worry about every little nic and scratch. I believe everyone will see something different no matter how much time is spent on a project. But, to look back at my work and decide to rework it is one of my ways to learns.

I believe no matter how much a person may feel their work is perfect, someone can always find fault. It always comes down to a matter of opinion.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration