RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Black Frame / White Matting

Old 07-29-2003, 02:14 PM

fotofreak, I did not run into that error on PS7. I am going down to my mom's house right now to test on her version of PS6 to see if I can duplicate. I sent you a PM and e-mail earlier - did you see them?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 02:43 PM

Talking

Yes I saw them. I hope that you do not think I was avoiding you or anything like that. I was just going to respond when I got this e-mail. I have been really busy with clients calling me asking me to do this and that. Right now I have to go to Spring Valley to do a photo shoot and will be back tonight. If you find anything out regarding this action, please let me know. I really appreciate you helping me out. I appreciate all of you helping me out. This is one of the best, if not the best, forum that I have had the pleasure to be a member of. Thank you all for making this a pleasant experience...... cyal8tr
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 03:11 PM

Try selecting your image then running the action. Some actions don't run quite right, unless the image is selected (little marching ants around it).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 03:31 PM

Well, about all I was able to verify on my mom's computer was that the action definitely does not work in PS6.

That particular action is fairly complex b/c it creates a wood-grain frame and angles the corners so that they meet in a "joint" - just like a real frame. Is that the kind of frame you're looking for, or do you want a simple black frame? That would be much easier in my mind b/c you wouldn't need to angle the corners.

You said you'd have to make the frames step-by-step if you can't find an action, so you obviously know what it is you're looking for. Is there any chance you can post one as an example?

I'll continue to look at the action, but I think it will have to be re-written for PS6 because it appears to use some features in PS7 that are not available in PS6.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 03:49 PM

This is an example of what I need except I need to change two things. One, I need the black frame alittle more beveled than it is here. Second, I need alittle more depth between the matting and the actual photo. Is something like this possible? I would appreciate any help you can give me on this. I will not be able to respond to this until tonight after this as I am in Spring Valley right now on a photo shoot. I had this 5 minute break and thought I would check my e-mail. IT'S HOT HERE! I am not a heat person. Anything over 70 degrees is hot to me. Anyway I will check back tonight and see what you have come up with. I appreciate it.... cyal8tr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanfran.jpg (17.3 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 03:50 PM

Should be straightforward. I'll post back when I have something. It'll be at least a couple hours.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 07:34 PM

OK, I've created two actions:
- the first one creates a 1" white mat with a 3/4" black frame
- the second creates a 3/4" white mat with a 1/2" black frame

Because PS6 doesn't allow you to set a relative canvas size, I had to do some creative steps. (I didn't create the steps, I copied the idea from the frame actions that ship with Photoshop.) Unfortunately, this makes it difficult for you to modify the size of both the mat and the frame. I did choose to work in inches rather than pixels with the hope that the action would be a little more flexible (i.e., the number of pixels in 1" depends on the resolution of the image.)

Also, the values for the bevels and shadows default to work on fairly large images (those from a 5MP digital camera). Those values are editable however (both while running the action and afterwards since I don't flatten the layers), so the action will work on smaller images.

HTH, Jeanie
Attached Files
File Type: zip b&w frames.zip (2.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 11:02 PM

Thumbs down

You are awesome! This works perfectly. Thank you so much. What else can I say but WOW! I guess I am going to have to learn how to do this now. I didn't think to much about it before, but now that I can see how it makes it so much easier on me. I am definately going to learn all I can. Thanks again Jeanie, Your Awesome!.........cyal8tr
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2003, 11:14 PM

YAY!! I'm glad it worked for you!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration