RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Samples View

View Poll Results: How do you like to view "before & after" images?
Mouseover 113 40.21%
Side by Side 163 58.01%
Pop Up Window 0 0%
New Page 1 0.36%
Click Thumbnails to larger image 4 1.42%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2005, 08:10 PM

What is more effective for your potential clients? The preferences of saavy users is irrelevant. I got a lot of business using this one as a handout. The original was a passport photo that was smuggled out of Cuba in a locket and discovered many years latter, the only picture of grandpa. best..skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graphic-1.jpg (48.4 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 AM

http://www.rayfresh.com/retouche/V2

Great before/after view
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 AM

I like mouseovers on pictures like air brushing etc, but for pictures that have been reconstructed from a bad photo i like to see them side by side in stages. And i hate pop ups with pictures, i have no time for them and i have a pop up killer, so no point me going to a site with them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 AM

I have my main page set up with thumbnails... example minor restoration main portfolio page has thumbnails and if they want to see the photos they click on one and then they are in the large side by side mode (same window), then they can hit next, previous, return to homepage, etc. It sounds more complicated than it is. What I did, is while building my site I let friends and family try out different things and asked what was easier for them. After all of them got back to me, I did the one they all seemed to like the best. I noticed that a lot of my older relatives didn't really get the whole scroll over thing (even though it said to do so) and yes the ones with dial up didn't wait and kept asking me what they were supposed to be looking for. I keep everything in the same browser window. No popups or secondary windows. Get's too confusing for the novice computer users from what I gathered. They go to hit back on the second window and it doesn't do anything... etc. etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Side by side so I can easily see what was changed and how. With mouseover I have to keep mousing over & off to compare the 2.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Depends on the audience

For me, the mouse-over (or any ability to alternate between the photos placed in exactly the same position) allows scrutinizing of even minute differences between two pictures. This is useful if I'm trying to learn how to duplicate someone's technique. With side-by-side, it would be difficult to notice subtle cloning or substitutions. In effect, the mouseover animates the photo change and the human eye is very sensitive to motion.

A good illustration are those "what's different?" puzzles--they're presented side-by-side to make it hard to tell the difference. If you overlay them mouse-over style, the challenge of the puzzle disappears completely.

However, for just showing off to, say, family or friends, the side-by-side is desirable because the whole point of retouching is to conceal clever changes like these, not accentuate them (which the mouseover does.)

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 PM

I very much prefer side by side

mouseover relies on your memory, remembering what the photo looked like a moment ago. It's nice sometimes, but I find it much much easier to compare photos side by side. In fact I was using Noiseware (it's like Neat image) and it has that feature where it shows the "before" when you hold the mouse button down, and the "after" when you release it. At first I thought it was neat, but it got old real fast, for some reason my brain was getting confused after a while and it was getting hard to tell the difference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 02:16 PM

haha

it's funny how people prefer different things. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a war between the Mousoverites and the Sidbysidites.
I'm willing to become interdenominational you know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 AM

I believe both countries (sidebysidany and mouseoveria) allow dual citizenship! :-)

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2006, 01:58 PM

Hi Vikky (et all)

WhidbeyPix and Bart: I voted mouse over, but agree with the side by side voters in quite a few points so I guess will consider myself to be "interdenominational"

The target audience is an important factor to be considered though. If you want to show your work to potential clients such as large studio firms, dial up and pc handling skills should not be an issue, in that case a mouseover will be really "catchy".

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration