RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Remove ink in a picture

Old 02-04-2004, 05:56 AM

Angry Remove ink in a picture

Hi to everybody! It's the first time that I post here. I have to restore a picture and I'm looking for a tutorial to remove ink. Please can u help me?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 08:12 AM

Is the photo black and white or color? (you'd tend to use different techniques in each case...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah
Is the photo black and white or color? (you'd tend to use different techniques in each case...)
The photo is black and white!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 10:22 AM

As a first step, make sure you have scanned the photograph in colour, and then check out the various channels (Red, Green, Blue). You may find that the ink is not visible at all (or is far less visible to the extent that you can then tidy up quite easily with cloning/healing/dodging/burning/etc.), in one of the channels and if so you can discard the other two to give you an undamaged black and white image.

Failing that, there is a great pdf tutorial from Russell Brown here (that one is aimed at colour photographs, but the same principles apply to black and white where the stain can't be fixed through discarding channels, so long as you are using a colour scan of your bw photo).

Or if none of that helps, try posting an example of the kind of damage you're working on here and someone will probably have a bright idea!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2004, 12:24 PM

Quote:
As a first step, make sure you have scanned the photograph in colour, and then check out the various channels (Red, Green, Blue). You may find that the ink is not visible at all (or is far less visible to the extent that you can then tidy up quite easily with cloning/healing/dodging/burning/etc.), in one of the channels and if so you can discard the other two to give you an undamaged black and white image.

Failing that, there is a great pdf tutorial from Russell Brown here (that one is aimed at colour photographs, but the same principles apply to black and white where the stain can't be fixed through discarding channels, so long as you are using a colour scan of your bw photo).

Or if none of that helps, try posting an example of the kind of damage you're working on here and someone will probably have a bright idea!
Thanks for your help. If I had some problems I'll post the photo. And sorry for my english!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 09:44 PM

Question Ink Removal

Quote:
Hi Leah

I have the same problem with red ink writing across each subject in an old B&W. Turning off the green and blue channels eliminates the ink 90%. When you say discard a channel, I assume you mean delete. The green and blue channels are now gone and I have a nice clean B&W. My problem: I cannot figure out how to save it to jpeg. When I try to save, it reverts back to original background and I am back where I started. I am sorely ignorate of channels and I know this is an elementary question but it has me stumped.
I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2004, 09:57 PM

One way is to select only the channel you want to keep, then change the mode to grayscale, then save to jpeg. I know that will work in Photoshop, not sure about others. Another way is to select the channel you want to keep, select all (ctrl-A), copy, then create a new jpeg document, paste, and save.

Chenoa, your english is just fine!

Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2004, 12:15 AM

uwbpet - if you are in Photoshop then go to the Channels palette and activate the (red) channel you want to keep. Then do Image -> Mode -> Greyscale and it will change the image to a greyscale image of just the channel you have activated (i.e. the red one) (if you do this without switching to the Channels palette and activating a channel first then it will use a combination of all channels to create the greyscale image. If you're not in photoshop then there's almost certainly a way of doing the same thing.

[I know this is the same as Scott told you but I'm trying to give more detail in case it's not obvious]
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2004, 10:17 AM

Ink Removal

Leah & Scott

The light finally came on. Much thanks to you both. I sorely need to spend time on both channels and blend modes.

Sometimes you have to be obvious with me. I'll admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've got a big heart.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2004, 04:03 AM

I tried to remove the ink in this picture but it's impossible. Someone could help me?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture.jpg (87.3 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration