RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Saving layers as files in PhotoShop 7?

Old 03-23-2004, 11:34 AM

Saving layers as files in PhotoShop 7?

I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to automate this task: I have several PSD files with around 110 layers (little pictures that I mask and keep all aligned identically), and I would like to export each layer into its own file, sequentially numbered, so that I can use the images in InDesign. It seems that Photoshop CS offers this feature, but does anyone know who to do it in PhotoShop 7 (on Windows)? A script of some sort?

Thanks a million (which is about how many little pictures I'll end up with!)

Last edited by Michael B.; 03-23-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B.
I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to automate this task: I have several PSD files with around 110 layers (little pictures that I mask and keep all aligned identically), and I would like to export each layer into its own file, sequentially numbered, so that I can use the images in InDesign. It seems that Photoshop CS offers this feature, but does anyone know who to do it in PhotoShop 7 (on Windows)? A script of some sort?

Thanks a million (which is about how many little pictures I'll end up with!)
Clarification: This functionality is provided through JavaScript that was written for this purpose that ships with CS.

So what?

PS7 supports scripting. One possibility would be to download/install the PS7 Scripting plugin from Adobe.com and find someone who will send you the CS JavaScript. I can't. I don't have CS. This might be stretching legality a bit (acquiring a component of CS if you don't own CS).

Once upon a time I looked at the code for this script and recall there is no limit to the number of layers an image can have. The script figures it out.

I don't recall how it names the files (by layer name? by numbered sequence?) and that might be an issue. Modifying the script to meet your filename requirements wouldn't be a hard one to make if you're into that sort of thing.

A non-glamorous, but functional way to skin this cat would be to craft an action that separates a multi-layer image into separate layers (inside Photoshop's window), and a second action invoked through File > Automate > Batch that would save/close and assign custom names en mass to the open images. It would leverage PS's ability to assign custom file names that include a sequentially numbered field.

Something like...
* File consisting of Top layer would be file name 001-xxx.psd
* File consisting of next layer down would be 002-xxx.psd
. . . .
* File containing background: 110-xxx.psd
...where xxx can be anything you like or nothing.

If this sounds like something that would work for you, I've done a little testing and I'm pretty sure I can make this work. I'll be glad to help you so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. (Click my name above this post and send me e-mail and we'll do this offline.)

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-23-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2004, 01:31 AM

Michael:

Just to be sure I wasn't imagining things, I wrote the actions mentioned in the previous post. The process works very well.

E-mail me so I can reply with .atn file attached.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration