Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Photos Too Dark.......

Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 AM
The jpeg and size may have effected the artifacting I was seeing when cleaning it up.

If you want to e-mail me the original I can see what I can do with it. I can't guarantee anything, but it might be slightly better

If you want too, just mail it to

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2004, 01:12 PM
I agree about the jpeg artifacts - I had a go but I was getting big square jpeg blocks. Saving as a non-lossy format like tiff (or at least at a very high quality of jpeg) will give more to work with (of course, you then probably won't be able to post it on this site...).

Was this a digital photo or a scan from a negative/transparency? If a scan, then playing around with the scanner settings if you have a decent scanner could help to get more information out - if one could combine a really good scanner operator with a really good scanner and then save the file with no lossy compression, then something decent might be salvageable.

If a digital photo, then there are techniques for editing out some of the noise that can be helpful - but one of the best ones involves having access to the original camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2004, 01:16 PM
From Digital Camera

This shot was taken with a Fuji Finepix S602 digital camera. If that helps I don't know. Anyway just thought I would add that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2004, 01:51 PM
In that case (1) the shot straight out of the camera without any additional compression would be a big help (while hoping that it wasn't taken at any setting worse than Fine) (2) From the EXIF information on the shot, you can find out the exposure details. Set the camera to manual, leave the lens cap on, set the aperture and exposure time to the same as for the problem shot, and take a photo (which will be very nearly black). That at least gives you the consistent pattern of noise that the camera will add for all shots at those settings, and you can use image arithmetic to cancel that out in the original shot.

Unfortunately I have found the 602 (I have one myself) to be Not Terribly Good in low-light conditions generally (although it is a lovely camera in decent lighting conditions). What you can get out of the image depends on what is actually recorded in it, regardless of what government agency you may be. If it were a film negative the scope for applying high technology becomes greater... - or if it's a digital camera that shoots in RAW mode, which sadly the 602 doesn't.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration