RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Odd request for help??

Old 04-06-2004, 03:11 PM

Vikki,
That last section wasn't directed at you. I should have separated them. Just trying to get people to look at the work involved instead of the asthetics. I agree they don't look like real children, but most are impressive for what they are (whatever that might be).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2004, 07:24 PM

Actually, some of this work is fantastic. I don't have the know-how to do it myself, but I can appreciate the work that goes into it. It's that "look" that people can't get past.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 03:21 AM

grafx - your work it good! Forgive me but I am just curious about the techniques!

How do you get the skin so flawless? Is it just a blur but bumped up? It almost looks like ppl use a diffuse glow or something? And the eyes....almost look like glass?

Sorry about all the questions - just curious!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 AM

Its all airbrushed or painted over the original. Sorta like the old days when people actually used "real" airbrushes for magazine models and the like. I love faces. My best talent even in the days when I took figure drawing. I guess it carried over into my digital stuff. My website is so outdated! I'm actually ashamed of it. I have a much more realistic style now, but it is still airbrushed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 01:58 PM

No defense necessary...

::shrug::

I hate feeling like I have to defend work like this. Look at the detail involved in these pictures before you bash them (These samples are not that great on this post, but there are much better out there). People do what they are paid to do. If you don't like what is practised by the parents then I think there might be another forum out there for that.

You don't need to defend your craft, most retouching is naturally 'not natural'. The look you're going for depends, just as you describe, on the client.
We do promo ads for show dogs, very stylized almost freakish looking stuff but the clients love it. It's a far cry from the pictures of our own loveable, sloppy, moppy old mutts but it's challenging, high paying work.
We can't always do the exact work we want to but its no ethical comprimise to do something different... as long as you do it well.

This is my first post by the way, and I've got to say that the work you regulars are posting here is really first class. I've been doing this a couple of years now as part of my photography business and I doubt that I measure up to your standards. I'm looking forward to watching this forum regularly and tapping into all the talent around here. This is coool!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 02:19 PM

I wasnt bashing your work at all. I was just commenting. Sorry I didnt realize this wasnt a forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2004, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Hildreth
We do promo ads for show dogs, very stylized almost freakish looking stuff but the clients love it. It's a far cry from the pictures of our own loveable, sloppy, moppy old mutts but it's challenging, high paying work.
Awesome!!! Someone else who feels my pain
I especially love your use of language "stylized almost freakish"
That could be a business name...LOL!

Hope to see ya around. You might like the challenges area. I love it. Gives me something to do during down time at work and some of the people around here are phenominal. Awesome tips and just loads of experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2004, 01:16 PM

Glossy Lips

Found this tutorial for creating glossy lips with the plastic wrap filter....

Glossy Lips Tutorial
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration