Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Where to start??

Old 04-07-2004, 08:38 AM

Hi all,

Mig

Thak you so much for you comment!

Vikki

... I think I found the problems .... too strong localized contrast, first ....
and after swap-replacing the woman's hat, I hadn't erased well the part of her face still attached to it .... ( Gosh .... sometimes I wander what people, not involved in image manipulation, would think reading some of the things we write .... "eliminate/erase distracting bystanders or people .... replace eyes and other parts of the body .. borrowing various parts of the body...make it come alive" .... Adolf Hitler and Victor Frankenstein move over ... please! .. )

Vegard

Right!! I've read that brilliant tip many times as well .... and since I too couldn't remember who posted it first, I did a research and 'landed' here

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_restore1.jpg (97.1 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
"eliminate/erase distracting bystanders or people .... replace eyes and other parts of the body .. borrowing various parts of the body...make it come alive"
This is scary. You look so nice and normal on the picture, and yet your mind is a sick as mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Right!! I've read that brilliant tip many times as well .... and since I too couldn't remember who posted it first, I did a research and 'landed' here
No, it isn't that one. I also did a search and was unable to find it, just another one who also was unable to find it, and repeated it!

I remember reading it right after I has scanned a photo of my mother from 1929, with several typical creases. I wore out the Clone stamp and had to upgrade Photoshop (no spare Clone stamp parts) And then I read this tip. It may have been at DP Review... no, unable to find it again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 AM

Flora, that looks much better! I'm curious though, why you use that method for toning and contrast.

Regarding the "tip", I know I have recommended that method myself, and it's a good thing to try. It doesn't always work, but when it does, I've gotten some amazing results. It can really cut down on cloning work. It works by changing the light that passes over the cracks. Once you layer these over each other, it cancels it out. Sometimes you can't get it to line up "exactly" but if you line up the damaged areas, and take a snapshot, you can use a history brush to apply just the good parts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 AM

Was this what you remembered?
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...68&postcount=6
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 11:26 AM

Vegard,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexx
This is scary. You look so nice and normal on the picture, and yet your mind is a sick as mine!
Fact is ... not only such talk appears to be very 'normal' here ..... but the usual reactions to it are questions about how to do it in the very best way ..... ....

Vikki,

Thanks again for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
...I'm curious though, why you use that method for toning and contrast.
Actually, I don't .... well not for toning and contrast ... I use it for just a touch of enhancing at the near end of my retouching/restoration work ....

I might try it along the way though ... and, like for this picture, forget to erase it .....

For toning and contrast, beside Levels/Curves, I use mostly Luminosity/Shadow Masks .... playing with Blending and Sharpening ...

P.S. Yes ... It was your post I 'remembered' ... better said.... 'had forgotten' .... Thanks again for a brilliant Tip.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 01:09 PM

Firstly let me apologise for the delay in responding....I'm afraid the 'day job' got in the way.

Thanks for all the great advice and I'm amazed at what you've done with this small sample. I've tried previously and not come anywhere close to this standard after quite a few hours of trying.

So I'll take on board all your good advice and go play. This sample was only about 10% of the image so it's going to take me some time. When I get somewhere near your good standards I'll post the results for your comments.

Just out of interest I had trouble viewing the attachments. My firewall doesn't want to let them through so I had to temporarily switch it off....something I'm reluctant to do these days.

Once again thanks

Colin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 01:52 PM

Colin, Which firewall are you using? With most of them it's the pop-up ad blocking functionality that interferes with RP. You shouldn't need to turn it off altogether - they are almost all configurable so that you can add retouchpro.com to the "override" or "trusted" list.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 01:58 PM

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro. Not sure how to just let RetouchPro attachments through.

Colin
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 02:30 PM

I don't have it myself (I have the free version which doesn't have a problem), but I gather from those who do that you need to:
  • Make retouchpro.com a trusted site in the Firewall section
  • Make sure it is listed under the sites in the Privacy section (add it if necessary)
  • Then go to Privacy -> Site List, select retouchpro, then select options (bottom right of window) and uncheck "Remove Private Header Information"
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
No...? The thing is I am absolutely certain it contained the explanation of your previous post here, "...It works by changing the light that passes over the cracks. Once you layer these over each other, it cancels it out...." and the post you're linking to doesn't contain this explanation. I also think (but am not certain) it was written by a man, someone called S* or W*.

Well, it doesn't matter. Now we've made so much noise about this technique that most members should have caught up on it, which is the most important thing

Argh, it reminds me I need to get my scanner to work again
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration