RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How do I remove mold quickly?

Old 05-01-2004, 11:49 PM

Post How do I remove mold quickly?

I have a photo that I am suppose to restore, however, on some of the subjects faces they patches of black specs on them. I am assuming that is mold.

However, the mold is scattered in tiny little specs. Can anyone recommend the fastest way to remove this problem? If possible I want to avoid going over one spec at a time in order to remove it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 01:38 AM

I can't really think of anything to recommend, other than dust & scratches, but even that probably won't look good.
I would remove each spec individually, if you want it to look good.
It always helps if you can post the image so we can see the problem and offer an appropriate solution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2004, 01:58 AM

Hi Jimmy,

if the mold is on faces or on small areas of the picture I'd do exactly what Vikki advises, for large areas, I found this Tutorial by Katrin Eismann very useful. The tutorial is at the beginning (top) of the page and, if you don't have her book/books, you could also download the sample chapters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 08:54 PM

Thought I would post the image to give you an idea of the problem.

Also, I would like to know if I was correct. Is this mold? In Photoshop click the magnifying glass, then click Actual Size. The alleged mold will be found around their mouth.

I'm sorry this has taken me so long. However, I had to prepare the image for the web, and I hate doing that. This computer has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, and it makes working in Photoshop almost intolerable when working with large images.

Flora,

Yes. I do have that book. I ran out and bought it the first time you recommended it to me.

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/...eb-Example.jpg

Well, I tested it and this appears to be visible on the web. However, not in the form of little black specs. You can still see the speckles around their face. I guess the compression has altered the appearance of the specs, because they don't look as black online.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
I guess the compression has altered the appearance of the specs, because they don't look as black online.
Why not crop down to a section of just the affected area and then save that at maximum quality (i.e. no or virtually no compression) which you should be able to do without creating too big a file? That will give us a better idea of what it is you're seeing on the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 10:42 AM

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

After posting a reply IE crashed on me and couln't apply the post. I had to come back a do this again. I hate it when that happens!

OK. Let me try this again. I followed your advice Leah so the picture is smaller.

However, for everyone to see the specs you will have to open it up in Photoshop and zoom in on the lady's face. It is more visible on the lady. You will notice that one side of her face is real speckled. The black specks are not pure black. They are more subtle than that.

Is this a sign of mold, a skin condition, or is this a problem with the film?

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/...eb-Example.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 04:11 PM

Hi Jimmy,

I couldn't really see the single speckles, but I did see the darkish area and discoloration around her and his mouth .... Can't tell if it's mold .... I don't think it's a skin condition ....

I cleaned up your picture working on the Channels individually...actually, mostly on the Red Channel ... What I did is:
  • Activated the Red Channel, using a soft Brush (Opacity 10%), keeping the Alt key pressed, I sampled a shade of gray lighter than the 'mold', clicked on the "~" key, to go back to the composite view so I could see the result of what I was doing, and very carefully painted over the 'mold'.
  • Adjusted the other Channels the same way, where necessary.
  • Created a new empty Layer on top (blending > Soft Light/Overlay) and with a soft white Brush, carefully painted over the shadows ....

Hope this helps.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Second-Web-Example.jpg (98.9 KB, 148 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 PM

Flora,

I am always in awe at the work you do. You cleaned that image up real nice. How did you bring out the detail in that image?

I have a question on the technique you recommended. When using the brush, do I paint on the layer, or do I paint on the channel?

Flora, I remember back when I first joined this forum and asked about your work. I had asked you if you did this professionally, and you said, "No."

Have you begun doing this professionally now? I am fixing these photos for free for a friend of mine. She offered to pay me, but I said no because I don't believe my work is good enough to charge for it. Well, Flora your work is good enough to pay you for it. This is a great talent you should invest in it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 02:09 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Jimmy ....

... sorry I'm a bit late in reacting ....

Quote:
I have a question on the technique you recommended. When using the brush, do I paint on the layer, or do I paint on the channel?
..I paint on the Channel directly .... (as usual, duplicate the original Channel before touching it.... )

Quote:
How did you bring out the detail in that image?
I used the 'Luminosity Mask' technique (Method2), described in my Tutorial and slightly sharpened the image (USM)

Quote:
Have you begun doing this professionally now?
Not yet, still keeping it as a hobby/passion/addiction .... ...

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 PM

Re: How do I remove mold quickly?

Survey the damage to determine the best plan of action.contain the area to prevent the spreading of mold.dehumidify the area, reducing the risk of the mold spreading during the cleaning process.disinfect the area.remove the mold using a HEPA filtered vacuum or other extraction methods phoenix water damage restoration.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration