RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Photos or not?

Old 05-04-2004, 07:39 AM

Photos or not?

I just completed restoration on four 16X20 size "photos" or prints that look like photographs, but in the style of artistic drawings. I think they are dated from the late 1900's. They have the appearance of a charcoal drawing, but have the photographic grain structure. I remember some weeks back a discussion of this style of prints. I searched the postings, but didn't find the thread discussing this style of print. Can anyone tell me what I have been working with; the history of this style of image?

Thanks,

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 08:31 AM

Hi Ken, it might help if you posted a picture. Descriptions can be vague and open to interpretation. But I'm sure that with an image, someone on this site will be able to help you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Ken,

It sounds like what you had was what I had.

Check this thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2004, 08:51 AM

These prints are exactly what you discribed. Thick stock, charcoal or pen and ink-like. And it sounds like the bromoil process Doug writes about in his thread.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Ken, this post will do nothing to inform you regarding your question, but it might lighten your day.

I was doing some photo manipulations for a group of scrapbook enthusiasts and word got around to an elderly lady who had a pair of images as you describe. The pictures had been framed with oval glass but had been stored in the basement and were damaged in a flood several years ago. Insurance had reimbursed the woman for the damaged portraits by paying to have new portraits painted by an artist. The woman was not satisfied and brought them to me believing that with a computer I could somehow bring the originals back to their former grandeur.

I explained that all I could do was scan them (I don't have any other conservator skills or equipment) and manipulate them in Photoshop and then print new copies but I offered to find someone (lots of folks here at RetouchPro could have helped her) to do the work for her at a price. She became disgusted with me. She kept insisting that the computer should be able to fix her pictures and finally asked if I knew anyone who was better at this computer stuff than I was who would do it for less than $20.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2004, 01:34 PM

Margaret,

$20.00! That much!?! Some peoples expectations! One of the prints I restored did have considerable mold, tear/rip, fade and dirt damage. I shouldn't pat myself on the back too hard, but it did turn out pretty well and the client did pay a fair price. Thanks for the post

K
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2004, 01:40 PM

Margaret,

You probably already know this, but you're much better off not doing any work for that woman. She would never be satisfied!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2004, 03:18 PM

I would have said, "Yes, there's someone who can help you, I think."

Then, I would have directed her to some unsuspecting camera shop 40 miles away.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration