RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

when restoring a sepia?

Old 05-14-2004, 05:51 PM

when restoring a sepia?

Do customers like to keep the sepia color in an old print or do most like the BW version? I thought I was fair at this stuff until I found this forum. I have learned so much in the last 24 hrs. You guys do some amazing things! I will just need some practice and hopefully in a few months I might get close. Here is another project I have been working on. Can anyone give me some guidelines...... Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0001sm.jpg (92.6 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2004, 05:56 PM

I personally really like sepia tones in old pictures

I normally give the client the choice of black and white or sepia. The important thing to remember, is that in most cases the sepia is due to age, not due to actual intent by the photographer.

- Noel
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2004, 03:27 AM

As Noelf says, most old "sepia" pictures aren't sepia at all - they've just turned yellow with age. Customers tend not to realise that, though. Generally, trying to maintain a sepia/yellow tone throughout the restoration is too difficult, so it's best to do the restoration in true black and white and then if desired you can apply a sepia tone at the end.

With the picture you posted, you'll find that if either take the Red channel alone, or put a Channel Mixer on top with Red +200, Green -100, Monochrome box checked, it will significantly improve the level of damage you need to go in and correct manually -- there will still be a fair bit to do and you'll need to tweak Levels, but it shouldn't be too bad. Overall you should get good results on this picture - it's god a good range of tones preserved and the grain isn't particularly visible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2004, 03:31 PM

Thank you so much Leah !!, I am new working with BW and your advice saved me tons of time!!! I am so thrilled I found this Forum I am beside myself! Thank you all for your time. Here is my finished photo and I am sure the pro's here will find it still needs a few tweaks but I am happy with it and I think the customer will be also !!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding_small.jpg (87.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration