RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Can This Family Be Saved???

Old 08-15-2004, 11:09 AM

Can This Family Be Saved???

Hello,

This is my first post ---I only found this site a couple of weeks ago and itís great! When it comes to restoring photos Iím a total amateur and Iím not even sure Iím very good at it but I thoroughly enjoy myself. Mostly what I try and do is improve on some of our old family photos. I have one from about 1895 that I would really like to restore but I need some advice. It is of my great grandparents and their children but my great grandmother is worn/torn off. Thatís the bad part. The good part is that I have another photo of her taken within a year or so of the one I want to restore. I have played around some and I can clone her in or add her by placing the second picture in a lower layer and erasing through. But she is still clearly added. Also as you can see, the picture is in generally in rough shape. I would like to be able to clean up some of the stains cracks and tears and get the faces as clear as possible. Actually I had thought this picture was beyond fixing until I saw some of the things people had done here and I got inspired to try. Now I think I may be in over my head! I would greatly appreciate any help (I generally use Paint Shop Pro 8 but have the beta of the new version 9)

Bill Fields
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 03:38 PM

Well Bill for a Family name (mine is also Fields) I thought I would give it a little shot

First thing I did was duplicated the layer and overlayed it as multiplied
Then I took the green channel and made it black and white from there.

The two little girls on the far right side both are completely missing their heads. Actually was a little freaky to realize So I cut them out!

Did some basic cleanup with the healing brush to minimize some of the cracks and some of the stains.

Unfortunately I don't know the equivalent steps in Paint Shop Pro. But it is at least partially fixable From here I would get deeper into the nitty gritty cloning and fixing, but that is what takes the longest

- Noel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouch.jpg (34.4 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 09:40 PM

Thanks Noel! Cropping was actually the first route I went with it. Since Great Grandma Elizabeth was already half gone I just took her out completely. That is how I left the picture for several years. Then I thought since I had the other photo of her taken about the same time, I could put her back in. (Iím sure they are within a year or so of the same time because the smallest girl, my grandmother is clearly pretty close to the same age in both pictures) Below is about the best I have managed, As you can see, the big problem Iím having is getting the added in parts----Great Grandma and the background--- to look at all natural. And Iím not sure how to clear up Great Grandpaís face without losing detail. I donít have another photo of him to work from

Best I can tell Paint Shop Pro has most of the features of Photoshop they just may be called something else. Not sure what the healing brush does but looks a lot like the scratch remover in Paint shop.

Thanks for your input! Where is your Fields family from? Mine are many generations in southeastern Kentucky. The folks in these photos are my Momís ancestors tho. I donít have a lot of old Fields pictures.

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 10:31 PM

Mine are basically from the South Dakota area.

However as a fun coincidence, my great grandmother's name was also Elizabeth

- Noel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration