RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Print too dark-1947 wedding photo

Old 08-29-2004, 02:25 PM

More help w/curves please

Flora, would you mind please posting specifically what you did with:
"Used the Curves to correct tone, contrast and balance lights and shadows."?

I looked up your tutorial that illustrates using curves, but I'm not sure how that would apply to this image?

Thanks again.

Vi
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2004, 03:01 PM

Hi Vi,

thank you so much for your kind words!!!

So glad I could help and I'll be very happy to see your progress in this restoration! (A really stunning couple!!! )

I used 2 Curves Layers at the very beginning of the restoration of your picture (see attachment) which very slightly differ from each other since I used the Curves Eyedropper on the different points I wanted to correct.... The Curves diagram I used on my tutorial is a general guideline which can be adapted for each picture individually....

As you can see from the first attachment, I worked on the Curves Layer Masks to reveal the effect of the Curves only where I wanted it.

P.S. I have corrected my previous post which contained a mistake:
  • Created a Shadow Mask:
    *Ctrl+Shift+I and not Ctrl+Alt+I (inverted selection = Shadows Mask selected)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CurvesPalette.jpg (44.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg CurvesDiag.jpg (99.2 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2004, 07:15 PM

Eye dropper

Flora, excellent information. Would you mind explaining precisely where you applied the eye droppers when you applied the 2 Curves adjustment layers please? I took Photoshop at the college this year and we were shown how we could set the black eye dropper to "black that still had small amount of detail" and the same for the white eye dropper. We were not shown how to apply the midtone eye dropper because that was beyond the scope of the class and would be really hard to apply.

So, any specifics you can tell me regarding application of the eye droppers would be just great. I know this is fundamental to photo restoration and that I really need to figure this out.

Vi
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2004, 09:42 AM

Hi Vi,

thanks for your feedback!

There isn't actually much about the application of eyedropper or color sampler ... I usually use them for information about either colour or shadows/highlights or, like in the Levels or Curves Dialogs, to set White/Black/Grey points.

Sometimes, like for your picture, when there are faded out or too dark areas, but, generally, the rest of the picture is OK, I use one or more Curves Adjustment Layers to balance this....

Once the Curves Dialog Box is open, without touching anything on it, jus go with your cursor (which automatically turns into an eyedropper) over the picture you are restoring.... once you get over an area you'd like to correct, just Ctrl+Left Click on it and you'll see a small black square magically appear on your Curves diagram ....

Just move this "small black square" until the part you wanted to correct looks OK .... Don't worry if the rest of the picture gets either too dark or too light .... You can correct that by using the Layer Mask which by default accompanies any Adjustment Layer .... You can also play with Layer Opacity and/or Blending until you are satisfied with the result....

Hope this helps....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG-0041.jpg (97.8 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2004, 10:43 AM

Hurricane avoidance

I have been eager to continue working on this image, but I reside on the east coast of Florida so have spent the last 3 days preparing to leave our home in case Hurrican Frances comes ashore in the area where we live.

Now I am safely secured on the west coast of Florida, betting that the west coast of our state is under less risk from this storm than the east coast.

I will be posting soon the results of applying Flora's techniques to this wedding image.

Vi
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2004, 04:54 PM

Hi Vi,

I will keep my fingers crossed for you all!!!!

... Looking forward to your next post .....

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2004, 11:03 PM

Curves attempt

The hurricane has passed-even on the west coast of Florida where I've evacuated to. Now sitting in the house without power, but there's still enough life in the laptop battery to upload my lastest work on this wedding image. Please let me know what you think, Flora. I notice that your curves adjustment layer mask has gray tones in the layer mask. Mine only has black. Do you know why that is?

I also am fascinated to learn about Cntl+left clicking with eye dropper in curves. I had no idea! I often wonder how many of these super cool power techniques I know nothing about.

Eagerly waiting for any feedback before going on to the next step.

Vi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg momdadweddingcurvestopostforum.jpg (79.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CurvesPaletteVi.jpg (42.7 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 10:32 PM

Something I was playing with is a simple Z curve to slightly reduce the highlites and raise the shadow values. In addition, I changed to CMYk, selected the faces and hand, changed to channels, selected Magenta plus Shift-clicked Yellow and ran a Curves Adjustment to increase. Then selected Cyan and ran a Curves to reduce. Ended up with roughly 45 to 50% Magenta and Yellow with yellow slightly stronger and Cyan around 13%.
At least on my monitor it seems to look pretty good.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-wedding copy.jpg (76.9 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 11:33 PM

Dave,
It looks good on my monitor also. Good Work.

Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2004, 02:42 AM

Hi everybody,

Vi,

.... sorry for not reacting earlier but, I don't know why, I don't get regular e-mail notifications for Threads I subscribed to or posted at ....
....anyway... great starting point!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the final result!!!

Dave,

Great work .... the shadows still look very dark on my monitor, though .... (...I hate this thing about different monitor calibration .... you never know if what you've worked on is going to look good for others as well!!!)

Last edited by Flora; 09-10-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration