RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Remove photopaper texture from old photo

Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 AM

OOOppppsss ... forgotten...

After running the Decrack action on the newly created document, you can alway Shift+drag the Decrack Layer to your original working document...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 04:31 AM

Strange Result with FFT

Hey Flora,

Thanks for the tips on how to use the Decrack Action. I will refer back to what you said when I am at that step.

I tried the FFT Plugin and Tutorial and got a strange, transparent result. Is this because I am using this on a Black and White image? I notice the image in the Turorial by byRo is color.

I did the exact steps of the tutorial and below is what I got as a result. Not sure what I did wrong. The image is black and white, but it is RGB/8.

Original can be seen here
Below is the post-FFT- see how it is transparent?

Also I am confused on the very first step:
1) Duplicate original image
- Right click on title bar;
- Duplicate (merged, if it has more than one layer) to a new image.

When I right click on my title bar I just get options to make the image full size or minimize or close it. I don't know what he is refering to here. What I did was to make a New Window by going to Window > Arrange > New Window for 'file name'.

Was this incorrect?

Also in the last step:

8) Put the colours back in:
- Slide, with <Shift> pressed (to align), your (now un-textured) luminosity back layer on top of the original (that’s the one we left behind in step 1);
- Set this new layer's blending mode to Luminosity.
- Select your original layer, which is below the new Luminosity layer;
- Apply a small radius (2 or 3 should do) Noise>Median filter (this blurs the colours a little, but don't worry all the important sharpness is in the luminosity layer).

Are we working with two layers in one document here, or are we working with two documents?

Any clarification would be much appreciated!

Nat

PS. sorry about the blackouts. They are such a pain!
Attached Images
File Type: png postfft.png (94.0 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 05:07 AM

Hi Nat,

I'm smiling while I write this ... smiling because getting the 'hang' on using FFT has been one of the most frustrating experience I've had with image manipulation ... and the one that put my patience and stubborness to a very severe test ...

But to your questions ...

* FFT can be used on colour and B&W images as long as they are in RGB Mode ... meaning ... presenting all colour channels even if they look about the same ....

* FFT doesn't recognize 'Layers' so it is to be used on a 'flattened' image.

Since this is usually the first thing I do when necessary, I simply duplicate the 'document' therefore 'we' are working with 2 documents, where the one destined to FFT should have the Background Layer only!

* Working on the FFT Document, I increase the Canvas size of 2 to 5 cm. (sorry I'm used to metric sizes... ), choosing grey as its colour. This will help with the blasted 'banding' which, otherwise, would be placed on the image .. (Attachment 1)

* Done that, I run FFT on it ... (I usually go for RGB FFT) ... (Attachment 2) shows the 'stars' I covered on the FFT red channel .... Correct the green channel if necessary ...

IMPORTANT ... Once finished working on the 'stars' in the individual Channels, remember to go back to the composite view by clicking on RGB before running IFFT

* Run IFFT and, if you are satisfied with the result, decrease the canvas' size to return to your original size, Shift+Drag the FFT corrected Background to your working original and, if the image you are working on is in colours, change the blending of the dragged FFT Layer to 'Luminosity' .... this will give you your original colour picture minus the Honeycomb texture!

Hope this helps..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0119.jpg (92.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0126.jpg (80.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0129.jpg (93.6 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Natalie, nice to see you back. ( I am listening to your music as I write this )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
When I right click on my title bar I just get options to make the image full size or minimize or close it. I don't know what he is refering to here. What I did was to make a New Window by going to Window > Arrange > New Window for 'file name'.
Oops, seems that this little confusion was my fault - I'll be editing the tutorial to correct.

The "Duplicate" option is only there if you are not editing in full-screen mode. I'll change this to the menu option - Image>Duplicate.
We need to duplicate the image to preserve a copy with the colours, because the FFT will throw away this information. The New Window option won't help us here because it creates only a new visualization of the same image.

As to the transparent problem, as Flora said (thanks Flora ), this is usually because you haven't selected all channels again before using the inverse FFT.

As to the grey border, there isn't a pre-defined size - adding about 20% more on each side should do the trick. (But, please, don't hate me if it doesn't)

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 03:28 PM

hi natalie,

welcome home

i had a go with your image. i've been experimenting with a new technique on the fft rgb. it's a bit of a twist from other methods but seems to have some promise.

i also ran psp's digital noise removal on this, psps scratch remover, some clone and push and then AIM's sharpen plugin to finish.

nice picture and good to see you back again. i hope your journeys have been fun and prosperous.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honeycomb-2-k-1a.jpg (94.9 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 03:32 PM

by the way, i used fft rgb, not the normal fft and i run it on the full image and not a channel split. and yes, you can do black and whites with fft rgb. works just fine. the trick is finding where the honeycomb resides. in this particular black and white, it might have been easier with the normal fft, but i've just gotten used to the ease of use of fft rgb, so that's what i use most often.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 08:50 PM

Woah

All I have to say is A-FREAKING-MEN!

This FFT Method is incredible! My friend from Eritrea gave me 27 of her mother's old family pictures to restore, she baiscally said.. 'Nat... do what ya can'! I did one before this one and it took me forever and ever to try to get that honeycomb off the image and it ended up looking way to soft using the other method I was using. I am going to go back to that image and use the FFT Method.

This FFT Method is awe inducing and I am so grateful to have found it!

Flora: Thank you again. You are a veritable garden of wisdom. I love that you share this with us and I have learned an incredible amount from you. I think I must come to Italy, or wherever you are to do a show just for you to thank you! Thank you for explaining the steps you took and for answering my questions! I am going to see about using Neat Image and USM after I have cleaned up the cracks.
I see you drew in some lines and also used dots. Can you tell me why you drew the lines?

Rô: Thanks for the welcome back! Glad you are enjoying the songs. Working on a new album at the moment, so hope to fill your ears with some new material by Fall. Thank you for such a great tutorial and for introducing me to this method. It's really wonderful and makes me wish I had paid more attention to Math in school. Math and computer sciences are beautiful things! I am glad you explained how to duplicate the document. It was so silly not to try the menu item for that. I was fixated on clicking the document bar! Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes! LOL

Kraellin: Thanks for the welcome home! Been seeing the inside of a studio most days. We are upgrading to Pro Tools this week so I have the week off while the guts of the studio are being reorganized! So yay, I finally get some time to keep honing my skills in the restoration/retouch area I have come to love so much! Good go on the image! What are the tweaks you made when using FFT?

I've posted my FFT Results below with the Before (Attachment 1), During (Attachement 2) and After (Attachment 3).

The banding is there, but I can work with it. Now I must see if I can get any decent results with the Decrack Action and then work away at cloning and reconstructing the torn bits. This is pretty much the worst source image I have ever worked with as far as tears and scratches go. But it's a lot of fun!

Thanks for all the wonderful help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre-fft.jpg (87.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg during.jpg (88.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg no-honeycomb.jpg (81.8 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Hi again,

... still sporadically fighting against 'blackouts' .. but, fortunately, very seldom and not as prolonged as the previous ones ...

I had the same problem with the Decrack Action .... It seems to be 'programmed' to work on the 'background' ... so ... what I did was:

After other corrections ... I 'Created a new document from the current state' .. and flattened the new document so that it has only the background ... Run the action on it ...

The Action can minimize/remove either light cracks (using the 'Minimun' Filter) or dark cracks (using the 'Maximum Filter) ... so I duplicated the action renaming them to Decrack Light/Dark and eliminating from their steps the part I didn't need ... ie: the 'Miminum' Step when removing the dark cracks ... and the 'Maximum' Step when removing light cracks ...

Hope this helps ...
Flora! Yes that did help. I worked from a flattened copy and the Action ran fine.

Below is what I got with a HPF setting of 4. I tried 2 and there were more cracks evident. But with 4 I lost some eye detail on the father. I guess no matter what I am going to have to do a lot of cloning on this one.
See original image

I am interested in what you did with the Action by splitting it. Is there any chance you could mail me the Actions you made or explain how you altered them? I'm a bit confused on how you split them up.

As you can see, the larger, lighter cracks in the image were not affected that much. The smaller ones were reduced noticably though.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decrack.jpg (76.7 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by rnbluvva; 02-12-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Inserted Original Image Link
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2006, 08:45 AM

This FFT technique is quite interesting. However, I find that sometimes when an image doesn't have the honeycomb pattern all over, using this method introduces patterns in the areas not covered by the pattern.

For example with this image:

http://www.sendefladen.dk/retouchpro/honeycomb.jpg

I know it's quite an extreme example, but I simply can't get it to work.

/megl

Last edited by megl; 02-13-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2006, 12:51 PM

natalie,

what i've been experimenting with on the fft is cloning over the 'stars' instead of blacking them out. mixed results so far.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration