RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Remove photopaper texture from old photo

Old 02-13-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megl
... using this method introduces patterns in the areas not covered by the pattern.
This is quite true. The FFT technique works on the image as a whole, and so does not detect the presence or not of the pattern.

The best I can suggest, in this case, would be to use a layer mask to exclude the offending (FFT) parts and let the original show through.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 06:01 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
Flora! Yes that did help. I worked from a flattened copy and the Action ran fine.

Below is what I got with a HPF setting of 4. I tried 2 and there were more cracks evident. But with 4 I lost some eye detail on the father. I guess no matter what I am going to have to do a lot of cloning on this one.
See original image

I am interested in what you did with the Action by splitting it. Is there any chance you could mail me the Actions you made or explain how you altered them? I'm a bit confused on how you split them up.

As you can see, the larger, lighter cracks in the image were not affected that much. The smaller ones were reduced noticably though.

Thanks again

Natalie, I'll explain over on the other thread :
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=26

how to change it so you have light and dark (minimum/maximum). I got it off the tutorial. Don't want to add it here since it's for cracks, not texture.

Have been playing with it most of last night and part of today. I love this action!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 11:05 PM

:

hi everyone i blured red and green channels with guassian blur and smart blured blue channel,used history brush on eyes and nose opacity was 35 then after that i desaturated the whole pic thats it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldphoto1.jpg (75.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 AM

I've printed out tutorial, downloaded the FFT plugin from site, twice, because when I go to use it in PSCS, it tells me there is a program error.

I extracted files from the zip, then copied the 2 plugins from BIN file over to plugins with PS. I can see the plugins, but cannot use them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 AM

Skyarcher:

What I did was to make a FFT Folder within my Photoshop Plugins folder and I extracted the entire distribution into my new Folder.

You have to exit PS and restart the program for the Plugins to be 'visable' and useable.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 01:06 AM

Thanks Natalie, I'll try again. I've restarted PS about 6 times now. I can see the plugins, but when I go to use them, I get program error.

Hopefully I'll get it working soon, this would save me about 5 hours worth of work on the image I'm restoring now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 06:46 PM

Question Can't get plugin to work

Anyone out there that could give me suggestion as to why I can't use the plugin?

Both plugins are in my plugin file, yes, I've restarted PS til I'm blue in the face, I can click on the plugin, but when I do, it says it cannot complete because of program error.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 07:11 PM

Skyarcher, sorry I don't have any good answers - let's try some questions then:

1) Are you using a MAC or PC? I believe that this FFT doesn't work on MAC's

2) When you say PS CS, that would mean CS1 (and not CS2)?

3) Have you tried downloading and installing the old version of FFT?

4) Have you tried downloading the filter again?

5) When you say that you see the filter - Do you see "FFT RGB" and "IFFT RBG"?

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Nat,

sorry to get back so late .... you'll never believe what happened to me ... Was in my garden, heard a noise from above and looked up .... I saw this very bright beam of light .... felt I was being 'beamed up' .... lost time track ... and when I 'woke' up ... I was sitting at my 'puter and it was today!!!! .... Kidding aside ... I 've been very busy ... and will be for the next two weeks ....
Quote:
I think I must come to Italy, or wherever you are to do a show just for you to thank you!
.... You can't imagine how much I appreciate you saying this!!! .... Your music is already with me whenever I sit at my 'puter' indipendently of which 'corner' of the world I happen to be ...

I'm attaching Decrack_Set.zip, the 'split' Decrack Action which I've also adapted to be used on any Layer containing either the 'merged' image after previous corrections, or only a part/selection of the whole image (i.e. hair, face etc) ....

From the .zip archive, extract Decrack_Set.atn to 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Presets\Photoshop Actions' folder (provided this is where you have installed PS!!) ... Open PS, load Decrack_Set into you actions Palette, click on the small arrow on the right of Decrack_Set and you'll see Decrack Light (for light cracks) and Decrack Dark (for dark cracks) ...

In Attachment 2 you can see the immediate result after running the Decrack Light action on part of your image .... The biggest cracks won't disappear completely, but, by tweaking some of the proposed values you can get very close to that .....

Quote:
But with 4 I lost some eye detail on the father
....By using the action on a duplicated Layer, you can always use a Layer mask to 'hide' the effects of the action on parts of the image you wish to leave untouched ....

Quote:
..I see you drew in some lines and also used dots. Can you tell me why you drew the lines?...
.... just being my old 'lazy' self who gets 'bored to death' with 'blackening out' each star individually ...

Skyarcher!

Welcome to RP!

Sorry to hear you are having troubles using the FFT Plug-in .... I've tried to see if I could get an error message like yours, but no matter what I did ... I never did...
It's really a mystery ...
Just a silly question .... are you working with PC Windows or with Mac?

Akbar Tahir,

You managed quite well to minimize the 'pattern' on the skin, but it is still very visible in eybrows, eyes, nose and mouth .... have you tried the FFT Filter? Attachment 3

Attachment 4 Eyes zoom-in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0133.jpg (96.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg F_FFT.jpg (98.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0134.jpg (97.5 KB, 33 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Decrack_Set.zip (1.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Flora; 02-17-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Rô,

.... you 'beat' me while I was writing my reply ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration