RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

metallic *glow*

Old 10-23-2001, 09:18 PM

Hey, they laughed at Galaleo and Columbus. It's worth a try and maybe you could use it as a top layer over the original scan and only cover the bad areas via a layer mask. You may have solved a big problem. Who knows.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 09:28 PM

Dj, Wish I had a quick and concise answer but no such luck! What happens is that the silver in the image oxidizes to silver ions which in turn begin migrating from the original site of the base particle and turn into elemental silver (metallic) ion state and it again reacts to light and darkens, only not in its original location--sort of "bleeding" over as it were. Masking the original image and blurring,replacing,dodging the "bleed" area can help, but so far, no quick fix! The problem, then, is actually too much image data and in the wrong place. Perhaps someone reading this will get an idea on how to remedy this. I, not having many wits to begin with, am at the end of what I still have!! Ed's suggestion would be worth a try, at least it might cutdown on the gloss! The example I posted also shows a loss of data(the "bleaching" on the suit and at the bottom which was the baryta layer of the paper showing thru) due to storage method(trunk in old unheated and damp barn) which will eventually consume the entire photo. As I understand it, there is ,as of yet, no way to really halt this type of deterioration, slow it down, but not arrest it. I used the aforementioned method to attempt a restore but it was a pretty grim result. Just aquired a new color correction plug in and am going to try it out on this photo. Perhaps with some success for a change! Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 10-23-2001 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 10:09 PM

Thanks guys!!!.............

It appears that I'm way over my head with this fix! I'm still at the coloring book level compared to the pros here.

I'll try the suggestions and report back with results.....good or bad!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 10:16 PM
Janitor

Kathleen:

I've seen it more than once that someone will post their own personal link to one of those photo album sites, which includes their personal ID. So when someone follows that link, the site thinks its you. You might want to edit that post to show a visitor link rather than your 'owner' link.

Everyone else:

Good thread. Back in the pre-digital days one way to lessen the effect of silver 'mirroring' was to use omni-directional lighting or even polarized lighting with a filter over the lens as well. The idea is the 'mirroring' effect is caused by light reflecting at differing angles of incidence, giving the effect. Limit the light available and/or the angle of that light, and there's less light reflecting at different angles.

Now how that could be replicated on a scanner I have no idea. But I suspect you'd see differing amounts of mirroring if you turned the image at different angles to the scan bar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 11:05 PM

please don't take my cookies away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2001, 12:11 AM

Sjm, You might try this--Doug gets the credit if it works--- Open your image, duplicate the background layer. Next go to image>adjust>invert. In the layers pallete select {color} as the blending mode and adjust the opacity slider to around 50 - 60%. Next, make the background layer active and mask an area showing mirroring. Adjust with curves to get it looking almost OK, then using the airbrush tool,set at around 11% pressure and large tip size lightly paint over the masked area with what color you think needs to be there.I tried this and it worked pretty well on the example I posted. In that case I used black as the color to fix the suit, but for light colored areas, use the color picker (eyedropper) to select the right shade to fix the blemish. Thanks for starting this thread!! Thanks Doug for tossing out the polarization tip. Thats the key---the migrated ionized silver is reflecting at a different wavelength--not much different, but just enough to be compensated for by some "layer and mode" play. Thanks!! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2001, 12:40 AM

Oops, here's the before/after. Please--I spent all of 5 min on the after--main point of interest is the left part of gentlemans suit and floor. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2001, 06:32 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Tom,

That's a pretty impressive fix! This has been a good thread, and worthy of a bookmark. Thanks for all the info.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2001, 09:25 AM

Good work guys with your problem solving efforts. Looks like we may have a good fix for this type of problem in the future.

Tom_Great job restoring but I just have to say one thing. I never thought to see a restoration by you where you actually took the sepia tone out.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2001, 11:32 AM

Oops--thats what happens when I try to work past my bedtime!! Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration